1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Gio ATV No Spark Help ? Results from some tests included

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 05:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gio ATV No Spark Help ? Results from some tests included

Purchased a slightly used Gio 110 ATV. Owner said he could never get it to run right, one day ran, next day didn't.
It's electrical unfortunately. I managed to get it running one whole day, realized if I toggle the kill/on switch back and forth really fast she would catch. Just had to have the timing right. Then, that issue cleared up, and she ran fine for 1 day with multiple start ups and zero issues.
But once again, went for a ride with the kids, shut the bike off, and it never fired up again.......no spark. It's been sitting ever since.
I've been on these forums reading threads and trouble shooting steps for the past 2 days. Any help is much appreciated
Here's my results from the standard tests:

Method 1) Unplug the CDI and remove the kill switch pin in the CDI connector on the wiring harness. The pin is held in with a spring tab on the pin itself. You'll have to probe into the connector and push this tab in order to extract the pin. Plug the CDI back in (kill switch wire dangling) and see if you have spark. NO SPARK

Method 2) Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the run position. Use a meter to measure resistance in of the kill switch pin in the wiring harness connector to engine/frame ground. If the reistance is infinite on the 100K ohm scale then your kill switches/kill switch wiring are OK. If you measure zero ohms then you have a kill switch/wiring issue. All good, also bypassed tether cord switch (unplugged connection under seat), bypassed brake switch (jumped wires together).

The other inputs your CDI needs to make spark are AC Ignition Power, and the Trigger signal. Do the following:

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure? 330 ohms

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure? 120 ohms

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure? 40 volts

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure? 0.23 volts

Now for measuring the output side of the CDI:

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure? 0.6 omhs

B) Plug the CDI back in. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Set all kill switches to the run position. Crank the engine while measuring the voltage on the Igntition Coil pin to ground. Poke through the insulation of the wire if you can't probe the connector.
26 volts

Old 10-14-2018, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

did you get your quad running jeff?? tests indicate that cdi and magnetto are ok. also method 2 suggests your switches are ok This leaves coil / plug fault.
cheers

Old 10-14-2018, 05:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bad CDI, swapped it out for a known good one and it worked. I’m assuming the 26V reading I got wasn’t quite enough to produce a spark.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

sweet...its good to see a positive outcome