1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kazuma dingo 250cc CDI wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma dingo 250cc CDI wiring

Sorry if i post this wrong ( new member ). I got a kazuma 250 because it didnt run. i found the CDI plug was melted. i used wire terminals to slide over the CDI pins and used silicon to hold them in ( no plug ) this worked fine and it ran. but wondering if the placement of wires are correct i'm eating CDI's pretty often. its a 6 pin CDI. the 2 pin plug is fine, the 4 uses stake ons ..no plug.. could anyone tell me the placement of colors. i tryed to match them to the plug and its as follows 1) dark green= ignition trigger 2) light green=ignition coil 3) yellow-black= ground 4) yellow-blue= ground. any wiring diagrams i have found online were to blury to read. thank you

Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your colors and their functions are certainly not common. I don't have a wiring diagram of your quad. The following picture shows how a six pin AC powered CDI is wired:

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 11166
Size:  27.7 KB

So take each wire in turn: The ignition coil wire at you CDI should leave the CDI into the wiring harness, and then reappear near the ignition coil and still be the same color. The ground wire will also disappear into the wiring harness, but look at the colors of all the wires on your quad that are bolted via lugs to the engine frame. Same color? Use a meter to see if the CDI "ground" wire really connected to engine ground through the wiring harness. The timing trigger wire should enter the wire harness and come out (still the same color) at the stator. You can (again) verify this connection with a meter, plus you can measure the resistance of the timing trigger wire to ground (which should be ~ 150 ohms).

Also,

What kind of silicone (not silicon) are you using? The more common silicones (i.e.bathtub caulking) cure by exuding acetic acid - not at all good for electrical connections. These products smell like vinegar while they are curing. The proper non corrosive silicones for electronics are much less common, and much more expensive. Dow Corning 3145 is a good non-corrosive choice for sealing electrical connections.