1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao Rhino 250cc Won't Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TaoTao Rhino 250cc Won't Run

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well and safe. I've been trying to get an ATV TaoTao Rhino 250cc to get to run properly after a stop of approximately 3 or 4 years. I changed the battery (and fully charged it multiple times), changed spark plugs, changed carburetor as well as air filter (put a new one where the PCV hose is not attached to it but just intaking straight from the outside). Despite these attempts, the ATV does not seem to want to stay on for more than 20/30 seconds. I attached a video of what my last attempt looked like (though it does not say the full story since it did not even turn on that time). Here's a couple of notes:

- Right before the video, the ATV did not have too much trouble turning on, but once it was on, it would not stay on unless I went full throttle (the moment I released throttle, it would turn off with a strong "closing" noise coming from the carburetor. I got it to run into first gear but only with the clutch half open so that I could keep RPMs really high. Got it to second gear in this same way, then back to first, and it died out and wouldn't turn back on. This happened multiple times (I probably was able to do it 5/6 times, always in 'half' first gear).
- It actually, as per the third 'running' attempt, is fully stuck in first gear now and have tried anything to get it back into neutral, but the gear pedal just won't turn back to neutral (neither by rocking it back and forth, nor by getting it to run in first, then second, then back to first (for those attempts in which it ran before dying). I tried putting full force on the medal which was a bad idea because I ended up breaking the pedal and having to replace it (which I did).
- From the video, it did not turn on and it seems like the battery is a bit down - this is probably the result of me trying to turn it on for two full days. I replaced the battery with a fully new one and I really do not think it's a battery issue (though it does sound low, and will charge it back at night).
- It sometimes leaked some gas from the air filter (but the air filter seemed fined, so I wonder if the carburetor has an input there).

Any suggestions as to what could cause it to behave this way?

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 05-04-2020, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attached videos.

Attached find the videos. Thanks again!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
vid1n.mov (4.90 MB, 18 views)
File Type: mov
vid2n.mov (3.92 MB, 17 views)