1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

ZMC mini atv can't get it to idle lower. it takes off when i take break off

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ZMC mini atv can't get it to idle lower. it takes off when i take break off

does anyone know how to adjust the idle on a mini chinese atv. I can't get the idle screw to make any difference. I can start it fine and even drive it. when i lift the back tire off of the ground and dont give it throttle the wheels spin faster and faster and the engine revs higher and higher. The only way i can slow this all down is by squeezing the break (left handle lever). when i have the break in the machine seems to idle fine. main problem being without the brake activated the atv will just go. am I missing something. i tried adjusting the throttle control on the right handle but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

also does anyone know where i can get a pdf manual for a mini atv.

also I should adjust the tightness of the chain.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Check the adjuster on the cable up by the throttle. I've seen them adjusted so that they hold the throttle open too much.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

it is not the adjuster cable I checked that. i tried checking Where the throttle line runs and screws in to the top of carborator. i unscrewed it and when I put it back in now i cant start the quad. i remember now at one point i noticed the throttle cable was unscrewed from the carb so i just screwed it on. it may be since then that i have had a problem with the quad moving when my hand is off of the brake. again, my idle screw has no effect when I turn it.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on your carb, where the throttle slide inserts, check to make sure it ain't in backwards. watch for the grooves on the slide and the slide guides in the carb. that can prevent the slide from properly seating

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default jaster 94

i tried putting it in both ways
would this cause the engine to rev high when i dont give it gas and pick the back tires off the ground?
also will this effect using the idle screw?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dropquad
i tried putting it in both ways
would this cause the engine to rev high when i dont give it gas and pick the back tires off the ground?
also will this effect using the idle screw?
the slide has got to go all the way down so it'll seat. yep, it's been my experience that it'll affect it. you can pull the carb off and look inside the intake side and actually see how far down the slide goes. if you want.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

check for air leaks on the intake also. cracks in rubber boots or missing O-rings on intake flanges

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

do i have to take the carb off to do all of this. Unfortunatly the gas tank is in the way of seeing in to where the throttle cable screws into.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dropquad
do i have to take the carb off to do all of this. Unfortunatly the gas tank is in the way of seeing in to where the throttle cable screws into.
no the carb ain't gotta come off for you to check and make sure the slide is in the correct position. it's just gotta fit down in there. look the spring over real good when you pull the slide out. make sure it's doing its job. can you tell of your throttle cable actually springs back to your thumb throttle? that'd tell us of the spring is working. i reckon. just wanting to make sure the cable ain't hanging up on ya.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i can get the sleeve back in fine and i do feel the tension on the throttle. still not sure why the idle screw makes no difference when it is screwed in or out.

Quick Reply: ZMC mini atv can't get it to idle lower. it takes off when i take break off