1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 typhoon no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 typhoon no spark

Hi everybody im glad i found this site. Alot of helpfull info here.

Heres my problem i just purchased a used typhoon guy had no paper work or anything on it. But he said its a 2010. Looks in mint condition . Started and ran fine for 2 days that i had it. parked it my 5 year old went and pulled the tether off the back. So i popped it back on and now i have no spark. I re checked the tether made sure it was on right. checked the connections good.
removed blue wire from the 5 pin CDI which is for the kill switch and it started right up. so before i jump into buying everything in that system. What should i check next or is the problem in the tether or the left hand kill swith assy.?
The wiring to the tether n switch assy. are good so im assuming the wires are ok.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So you know it is kill switch related. That is a big step forward.

So the only left is to find what is shorting the kill switch wire to ground. Since the tether kill switch was last involved it seems logical to start there.

Go behind the panel where that tether kill switch is mounted. Follow the wires a short distance until you get to a connector set going into the main wiring harness. Unplug the connector set and leave it open. Try to start the quad. Does it start? If so you have a bad tether switch. These fail so often that they are always at the top of the list.

If that doesn't work then unplug the CDI and use a meter to measure the resistance Kill switch connection in the main harness to the ground wire in the same CDI connector. Use the 2K ohm scale (2000 ohms). Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the "run" position. You should read "open" (infinite resistance). If you measure a short (zero ohms), then unplug the following connector sets into the main harness one by one until the short goes away:

1) Left handle bar switch assembly
2) Ignition switch
2) Remote control module
4) The tether kill switch

When you find which kill switch is the dog in the manger (i.e. shorted), then concentrate in that location.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Lynn for your reply i will print your post and will follow what you said. And will update you and anybody else that may have the same issue. Thank you so much for your help.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

OK got her running took me a while to figure out what the problem was but with your advise and a meter. i found the problem when i was testing the ground n kill switch wires at the CDI. everything showed good no shorts. Started turning on kill switches ok. removed all the electrical tape , wire loom. Cause at this point everything tested ok. started taking part by part testing it wiggling it. until i came across the tether switch with the meter hooked up and the slightest touch and i mean slight and you can see the meter jumping from infite to short. A fly couldv landed on it and it would change my readings. Well sure enough i held it down with my fingure. And it fired right up. Ordered a new one.
Thank you again.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome . I'm glad you got it running.

But, do you use that tether switch? One way to get around this problem is to simply disconnect the tether switch from the main wiring harness. That way it is out of the picture and totally disabled from being able to stop your quad..

But let's be clear: I'm talking about unplugging the tether switch wires from the main harness, not unplugging the tether pull cord rubber plug itself. These two actions couldn't be more opposite. When you pull the rubber tether plug off it removes a mechanical barrier that allows a spring loaded switch that was held "open" before to close (i.e. shorted) when the rubber plug is yanked off. This kills spark.

By unplugging the tether switch from the wiring harness all together, you are gaurenteeing that the tether kill switch connection can *never* short the kill switch line to ground (which would kill spark). Of course other kill switches wired across this same connection could be shorted to ground and kill spark (ignition switch, remote module, and/or left handlebar kill switch), but the "tether input" would be out of the picture.

The last paragraph I'm pretty sure you understand - I'm adding it solely because of future people with similar problems that get here by search engines.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Lynn, i didnt try to start it unplugged meaning disconnected from the connector . I could check it later. I just removed it until the new one comes in. I do want one on for added safety. Its my 5year old sons. This is his first quad. And i love driving it to guess ill be in the market for one also. Gotta hide it from the wife