ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   1) Engine problems.. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/)
-   -   starter spins (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/340232-starter-spins.html)

RunMonkeyRun 09-29-2011 08:47 PM

starter spins

Hello there, I am have a problem with my daughter's 110cc with the starter, what other reason could it be if the starter spins but does not engage to start it.

Something with the crank?

raenglehart 09-29-2011 09:40 PM

Well, on a normal vehicle, it's a bad starter. However, I have one of these 110's as well, but have not had to open it up to see what type starter it has....... on the 50cc Chinese quads I have, they have a chain that goes from the starter gear to the clutch.

If no one else responds to you that knows the answer, remove the starter and let me know which type it is. Like I said, if it's like most car type starters where the starter gear will push out to catch a flywheel or /gear and yours is not pushing out the gear (which is what it sounds like), then it is def a bad starter.

LynnEdwards 09-30-2011 12:44 AM

It's the starter clutch. It's slipping.

The starter must mechanically connect to the engine to turn it. But once the engine starts it must disconnect somehow. Starter cranking speed is roughly 600 RPM. Engine idling is roughly 1800 RPM. If the starter motor was still mechanically connected at idle the starter motor would be spun up to tremendous RPMs. And what about when the engine speeds up to red line? If the starter did not disconnect it would be spun up to the point that it would fly apart and disintegrate.

The device that connects the starter to the engine during cranking, and disconnects it when the engine starts is the starter clutch. It is also generically called a "sprag clutch", which is just one of several different overrunning clutch designs. Your ten speed bicycle has an over running clutch too. When you pedal faster than the wheels are turning your pedals drive the rear wheel, but when you coast the rear wheel doesn't continue to drive your feet and force them to turn at the going rate. Your feet stay still and the bike just coasts. That is a kind of overrun clutch too (usually a "ratchet and pawl" scheme and not a "sprag" clutch), but the overall principle is the same.

Google "sprag clutch" and you will see how it works.

But unfortunately I've never changed on of these on a 110cc quad. So I'm not much help there.

raenglehart 09-30-2011 10:03 PM

So Lynn, is the 110cc the same as the 50cc's then?......the starter is connected to the starter clutch via a chain? if that is the case, it could be possible his chain is broken or just off the gear.

RunMonkeyRun,

Remove the stator assy (the left side of the engine case) This will expose the starter gear and starter clutch...........which if like the 50cc's I have, will be connected via a chain. Let us know what you find there.

OneTenCC 10-01-2011 09:12 AM

Could this also just be a weak battery? If the starter doesn't spin fast enough, the starter gear might not engage the flywheel. I know these little batteries need a trickle charger put on them from time to time. They are hopelessly undersized.

Joel

LynnEdwards 10-01-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by raenglehart (Post 3067710)
So Lynn, is the 110cc the same as the 50cc's then?......the starter is connected to the starter clutch via a chain? if that is the case, it could be possible his chain is broken or just off the gear.

Yes.

In fact that sounds more likely than my suggestion of a slipping starter clutch. :nod:

RunMonkeyRun 10-07-2011 08:23 PM

I did open up the starter and it looks like the shaft is suppose to go on the fly wheel style.

so i am thinking it is definetly the starter. If memory serve me I had the same thing happen on my lawn tractor years ago.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the shft in the starter suppose to shoot out to the fly wheel in order to start the atv?

and thanks to all for the help in understand these little toys.......

raenglehart 10-07-2011 08:49 PM

Yes, if it is that style, the gear shaft on the starter should extend out to engage the gear to turn the engine over. If it's possible, with the starter exposed, try starting and see if it spins in place or tries to extend.

LynnEdwards 10-08-2011 01:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I'm confused and that means I maybe totally wrong. But here goes anyway. There is no shame in being wrong as long as you're just after the truth...

I'm thinking you have a E22 honda clone engine (110cc). The engine is a 4 stroke that looks like this (one of two engines): [click on each picture for a larger image]

Attachment 5457

Attachment 5458

Note how there is a bottom attached starter, or a top attached starter. Do either of these engine looks like yours? One of those starters attaches with 3 bolts, and the other with 2 bolts (i forget which) . If you search eBay (or whatever) for 110cc starter motors can you post up a link showing a picture or your starter motor?

Both these starters hook up to the flywheel via a chain to the best of my knowledge. There is no bendix like flyout mechanism. Look at the starter motor you have. Is the output gear an actual gear (with involute shaped gear teeth), or is it a sprocket (like the chain drive sprocket on your bicycle) ? These look totally different. Google is your friend if you need to see the difference between "involute shaped gear teeth" versus "chain sprocket".

RunMonkeyRun 10-10-2011 07:58 PM

Thanks LynnEdwards, the bottom picture is the one with the starter on top and 3bolts excactly, I will look it up on google aswell to see exactly which it is called.

That is alot of help, I will look on google.