ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   1) Engine problems.. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/)
-   -   help needed please. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/340683-help-needed-please.html)

momto4boyz 10-24-2011 01:09 PM

help needed please.

Im new here, and new to atv's. I bought an atv for my boys, im assuming from pictures its a kazuma. The lady i bought it from said it needed a solenoid to start. I have replaced the battery,solenoid,cdi module, stator, cleaned the fuel lines, i know were gettin spark. it still will not start. it spins but thats it. any suggestions what I can try next? Runnin out of patience and my boys are so disappointed. Thanks for any help you can suggest.

****was told its 50cc****

Bennyboy000001 10-24-2011 05:07 PM

I have the same problem. A way to make your boys happy are put one of them on, pop it into first, and start pushing. It'll fire up that way. You could do the other gears also but that's a lot more running ha. I start the little 50 i got for my brother this way and never fails. And probably someone is going to tell you that you need to adjust the valves. If i knew how to do that i would tell you lol.

momto4boyz 10-25-2011 01:02 PM

it has an electric start, there is no first? you start it by holding the brake and pushin the button. Is there a way to push start it? im totally new to this whole atv thing, lol.

Bennyboy000001 10-25-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by momto4boyz (Post 3072871)
it has an electric start, there is no first? you start it by holding the brake and pushin the button. Is there a way to push start it? im totally new to this whole atv thing, lol.

Sorry to jump to assumptions. Could you take pictures of it and post it?
Many more advanced people may be able to help you if they were familiar with your quad. There isn't much detail to go on, though many of the people on here can help you troubleshoot just about anything.

Well first i assumed since it was a 50cc as you were told, and that it had a semi-automatic transmission. I neglected to think that you may have a fully automatic transmission. The Kazuma 50cc i have has a 4 speed semi-automatic transmission. So i was quick to jump to assumptions. Would you possibly be able to tell if it is a 2-stroke engine or 4-stroke? Basically the way to tell this is if you have to mix oil or if its just straight gas.

I can almost guarantee like i said before someone is going to suggest checking the valve clearance or adjusting the valves. You may even need to clean the carburetor, there are many youtube videos that show how to do both. I can't say i've had to do this but maybe it will help.

Sorry i can't be of much help. Kind of pointless posting then huh? lol

LynnEdwards 10-25-2011 08:51 PM

How do you know if you're getting spark? The proper way is to remove the plug, hook it back up and hold the thread of the spark plug against the engine block. Crank the starter and see if you're getting spark across the plug gap.

While you're at it (assuming you have good spark), dribble about 1/2 teaspoon of gas into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Put the plug back in and crank the starter (ignition switch on and all kill switches in the run position). Does the engine start up briefly?

Have you ever seen this quad run?

momto4boyz 10-30-2011 08:53 PM

sorry its taken me so long to reply. no we have never seen it run, :( we took the spark plug out and did both, held it to the engine block and put some gas on the end of it and put it back in, still didnt start.

Jaster94 10-30-2011 09:34 PM

on the bottom of the carburetor, you'll see a screw that may have a hose attached to it. that is the float bowl drain. be careful and use a flathead screwdriver and, of course, turn it CCW. does fuel come out of the drain? if the tank has a petcock valve, is it in the right position? have you seen fuel come out of the hose that feeds the carburetor? i'm trying to make sure the carb is getting fuel. if it is not getting fuel, the carburetor may need a cleaning if the quad has been sitting for a while.
how to clean a carb on a ATV - YouTube
this is a video that shows how to clean the carb. now the carb in the video may not be identical to yours, but the principle is the same.
if it is not getting fuel but have spark, you could conservatively spray starting fluid in the carb/air cleaner and it should fire. if it fires up momentarily, then you have a fuel delivery problem. either the float is stuck or the jets are plugged. let us know.

momto4boyz 10-31-2011 02:54 PM

im gonna try all that and i will let you know my results, I appericate all the help, im determined to get this runnin for my kids, :)

if i take a picture without the the plastic on it will you be able to tell what it is? we have it all taken off to get to everything, if you can tell i 'll take a pic this afternoon. thanks again.

Jaster94 11-01-2011 10:44 AM

the VIN will be on the left hand side of the frame under the engine on the frame rail itself. some have them on a sticker on the vertical piece of the steering, and even others have a metal ID tag on the front of the machine at a grab bar or "bumper" looking part of the frame. 17 alphanumerical digits. get all 17 characters and we can tell you exactly what it is if it ain't marked on the engine, stickers on the plastic, or on the frame.....:)

HAYABUSARIDER 11-08-2011 10:24 AM

SOUNDS like the intake valve is out of set ... get the valves set ... if the carb is clean and it's firing ... it will run ...