1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc ATV - No wiring - Help? PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc ATV - No wiring - Help? PLZ

Hello,
I am trying to get my ATV running.
Today I have put it all back together. Seemed like it was all there, but it turns out I am missing a solenoid. Easy fix..

But...
There is zero wiring on the bike. (Despite how the images look.. Its hell)
I have all the wires from the engine, but they have no "real" wiring harness. All I received with it was a... MESS...

I am trying to rewire it nice and simple. No lights, no blinkers. Nothing.
Just a simple starter motor, push button start and a kill switch.

Does anyone have a bunch of images from the motor wires out?

I can not really use a wiring diagram as there is not where for me to start from or end

It's such a PITA...

I'll post up an image so you can all see the hell I have...

Here is a mess:
Name:  73cd48da.jpg
Views: 30748
Size:  193.3 KB

All engine wires intact: Nothing more...

Name:  e70a8c91.jpg
Views: 11826
Size:  103.4 KB

I think the CDI plug is complete.. It's the only one that was in full:
Name:  b9490c27.jpg
Views: 10109
Size:  92.4 KB

I have no clue what goes into the regulator:
There is no plug for it:
Name:  62c909a1.jpg
Views: 8752
Size:  76.8 KB

I have no idea what two wires go to the Spark Coil: (Green and Black)
Name:  2b333805.jpg
Views: 28688
Size:  118.0 KB

Combo switch looks like all wires are ok. The Blue and White have been cut (orange push button). Why? Who knows!
Name:  9a276f6d.jpg
Views: 8852
Size:  130.8 KB

This is not a harness, it is just a bunch of wires someone has mangled and tried to make work:
Name:  4b314d34.jpg
Views: 8699
Size:  200.3 KB

Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OMG !

How on earth could something like this happen? Did you buy the quad like this? Or did you do this all yourself? If you bought it like this, what in the dickens were you thinking?

I am trying to rewire it nice and simple. No lights, no blinkers. Nothing.
Just a simple starter motor, push button start and a kill switch.
But you're forgetting the entire ignition system, and the battery charging system as well. Those are absolutely necessary, and amount to most of the wiring. The lights and stuff are trivial to add once the *absolutely required* stuff is up and running.

Wiring up a quad from scratch (and I think your mess is very close to that) is a *big* job. I would break it down into smaller somewhat more achievable tasks such as:

1) Getting the starter motor cranking
2) Getting spark
3) Getting the battery charging system working
4) Fixing ancillary stuff such as lighting, displays

You're proposing to eliminate #4. OK, but you still need to get through step 3 at least to have a working quad.

I'm willing to help, but to date several others before you with the same mess and similar ambitions have gotten (at most) through step one only. Nobody has made it through step two. Are you really willing to take on this task? I am if you are...

Another possibility is to get a whole new harness if you know your quad model and can find one available. Normally I say that fixing the old harness is invariably easier than troubleshooting the incompatibilities of a new harness. But in your case I will make an exception to the rule .

Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hahahahaha... I may end up buying a new harness.
I purchased this quad for $75 a few weeks ago in worse condition... Yep, worse!

I can rebuild engines fine, but this wiring! It's horrible.
I have rebuilt many trail bikes, this is my first quad (or anything with more than two wheels).

Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a wiring harness.
But how does that connect to the 6-10 wires from the quads motor?
This is more effort than I thought it would be.
It's going to be fun when it runs!

So now I got all parts and just need to wire the harness to the loose quad wires, which is here I may have troubles.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I almost always recommend that you try to salvage the old harness before trying to plop on a new one. There are often conflicts that have to be resolved, and many times resolving these conflicts are more trouble then just fixing the original harness. But in your case (based on the pic's you posted) I think changing the harness is the way to go .

I would put on the new harness, hook up what mates up, and document carefully what doesn't hook up (with pictures). Then see what works and what doesn't, divide the problems into smaller separate tasks and solve them one by one.

On your "6-10 wires from the motor", for example, where do these wires come out of the motor? What are the colors? Is there a connector on the wiring harness that isn't wired up that also has the same number of wires? What are those colors, etc?

You will definately need a meter, some patience, and do some careful, accurate, and repeatable measuring with the meter.

Last edited by LynnEdwards; 12-20-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default In the same "Boat"

Hello all,
I have found myself in the same situation as you.
I just recently bought a 110cc mini chopper to restore and fix for my son. I have all the parts (including wiring/parts) however, the bike was in... well, not the best shape. After a few days of cleaning and piecing back together, I'm now ready to wire it. Problem is, the harness was off and cut in several places. I'm trying to get it in riding condition. Bare minimum. No lights, signals etc. as my son will not be riding it on street or at night. (I may....)
If anyone could help with a diagram, photos of how it's wired, anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got the same thing

What did u do? Got the same problem?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Range Rover
Default wow someone actually did a search

Wiring up a quad from scratch (and I think your mess is very close to that) is a *big* job. I would break it down into smaller somewhat more achievable tasks such as:

1) Getting the starter motor cranking
2) Getting spark
3) Getting the battery charging system working
4) Fixing ancillary stuff such as lighting, displays

Assuming that your stator, cdi, coil(s), and voltage reg are good. And you have a multimeter and the start button and thumb kill switches are present. Then wiring a quad from scratch skipping step 4 is very possible. Doing it w/o creating a harness that looks like the birds nest on the bricks above is a different story (at least for me). Step 1 is pretty easy. Step 2 can be a nightmare cause if you have a six pin there is no way of knowing if you should be wiring for AC or DC. Step 3 is again pretty straight forward but is definitely more complex than step 1.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Range Rover
Default step 1 get the starter spinning the engine

First grab your multimeter and set it to the continuity beeper.
Turn the key to off. There should be two wires that have continuity may take some time to find them if it has them at all (if not you will not be able to kill the quad with the key) you dont need these now but will need them in step 2 so note which ones they are. Now turn key on. There should be two different wires that have continuity you need these now.
When I say connect this wire to that one use the plastic disconnects if you have them:
1) Take one of the 'key on' wires and connect it to one of the wires on the start button. It doesn't matter which cause current will flow both ways through both switches.
2) Locate your solenoid it should have 2 big posts with nuts on them and 2 small wires coming out of it. Connect one small wire to ground (if the solenoid only has one small wire then ground the body of the solenoid).
3) Connect one big post to the fat wire coming off the starter and the other big post to the + battery cable.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

4) Run a wire from the remaining small wire on the solenoid to the remaining wire on the start button.
5) Run a wire from the + battery post to the remaining 'key on' wire
6) Run a thick wire from a bolt on the block to the - terminal on the battery

Assuming the starter, solenoid, key switch, start button, and battery are in good shape you should be able to turn the key on and crank the engine by hitting the start button. Step 1 complete.

*NOTE* be sure the bike is in neutral before attempting to crank the engine because there is absolutely no safety devices on this system. If you try to crank the engine while the bike is in gear the bike WILL move.

To describe step 2 requires knowing how many pins your cdi has and if is 2 or 4 stroke.

Quick Reply: 110cc ATV - No wiring - Help? PLZ