1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2007 Jetmoto No Spark...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the idea!

I did follow that wire to the stator and it does not have any resistance, so there is an open line, which shouldn't be. I did crank it over, but like discussed before, high dollar digital meters may not pick this up.

Anyhow, I am in the process of trying to pull the stator... I need to find a little smaller puller because everything I have is for automotive use, which is a little too big. I have a buddy who has a motorcycle puller kit, which should work (I Hope!). Any other ideas/tips on how to get the metal cage off without a puller??? I don't think you can pull it without a puller, but you never know...

Regardless, once I get the part off, I will keep you updated. Thanks for all the help & Happy New Year!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You measured less than 1 ohm before, and now you say you have an open . An open wire would be infinite resistance - I think maybe you mean a shorted wire?

If your trigger pulse wire is shorted to ground (less than an ohm) looking into the stator (harness wiring is unplugged and out of the picture) then look for a pinched wire in the stator shorting to ground once you get it off. That can be fixed with some shrink tubing. The short can be inside the pickup coil as well, and there is nothing you can do about that except replace the stator.

Why not just buy a puller? They're like $20 with shipping (I assume this is a GY6 engine). Flywheels can be difficult to get off, and using the wrong tool can cause even more problems.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay I am back... Yes, you are correct I did not measure and Open Line it did show less than 1 ohm.

I did purchase the flywheel puller and once I pulled the flywheel, I was in for a nice surprise... Both the stator and flywheel were packed with dust. After I cleaned both components I put everything back together, but still no spark. So, then I double checked everything to make sure I didn't miss anything and started the trouble shooting chart all over again. The results did change a bit but nothing worth noting (still less than 1 ohm). So, I am thinking that I am dealing with a bad stator. I will order one tonight and let you know what I come up with.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, before I waste more money on a part that may not be the problem, I re-checked the ohms in the Ignition Trigger wire with the stator off. And to my surprise I showed 128 ohms. I know you said I should have about 150 ohms of resistance, but do you think 128 ohms is acceptable? I am seriously thinking about putting it back on, and re-checking everything again... What do you think? Additionally, when I said the stator and flywheel were packed with dust (dirt), I mean they were PACKED... However, I am not sure why that would affect the ohms in the Igintion Trigger wire??? Maybe I didn't have a very good ground??? What do you think? I might try to re-check the ohms again and wiggle the wire around to see if the ohms jump around alot. However, if everything checks out I am going to put everything back together again. And re-check everything... Any further advice? Lastly, I am having a hard time trying to find the right replacement stator. The one I have is a six pin with 3 wires in a 4 wire connector and 1 loose wire comming off the stator. The ones I keep finding online are a six pin with 3 wires in a 4 wire connector and 2 loose wires. So, one of the wires is no doubt the ignition trigger wire, but what about the second loose wire? Do you think that is an ignition kill switch wire? And if it is, do you think this stator will work for my application? I just wouldn't use the second wire right???

Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Electrical Expert

One problem with GY6 engines is the open air intake to the flywheel area. If the quad gets seriously mired in mud it gets sucked in through the fan and packs into the flywheel/stator area.

I think 128 ohms is probably fine. But I wonder why it is changing from 128 ohms to zero ohms, then back again. I would definitely wiggle wires around and try to see if you can make the short come back.

Mud is not very conductive at low voltages, so it isn't the direct cause of your short, but compacted mud could press a wire against the stator chassis with enough force to get it short through the insulation.

A poor ground would cause your resistance readings to be too high or open (infinite resistance). A poor connection never reads as too low of a resistance.

On your replacement stator issue, what is the color of the "extra" wire? Is it black/red? If so that is the AC ignition power wire which is not needed on a DC powered CDI. So you just leave it disconnected in that case.

Make sure that your replacement stator has the same number of poles as your old one. They come with six or eight poles. The number of poles must match the number of magnets embedded in your flywheel. If they don't match your batery charging system will not work. By "number of poles", look at the stator and imagine it as a mechanical starfish. How many "arms are on that starfish?

Other than that you need to look to see if it will bolt up mechanically.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn,

First of all, thanks for all your help! Today the 2007 Jetmoto 150 breathed life again! Turned out that the new CDI box I purchased through Jetmoto was bad! Well, that and the stator and flywheel being packed with dust/dirt didn't allow for good contact. After I put everything together, I started performing checks all over again. Then I decided to put the old parts back on and see what would happen. As soon as I put the old CDI box back on, BAM I got spark! So, I finished buttoning everthing up and she fired right up. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm glad you figured it out and got it running .