1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 150 help... Bogging and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tao Tao 150 help... Bogging and brakes

Hello! I'm new to the forum and to atvs as well. I purchased a Tao Tao 150 2 Christmas' ago and am now beginning to have problems with it. Just for a little bit of background, I have been riding atvs for years but do not know much about their parts or problems that develop. I have probably ridden this Tao Tao less than 30 times and it is only used in the summer.

Now onto the problems. After storing the atv or the winter, I took it out to ride today. It started right up and rancor about 50 feet and bogged out when I gave it full throttle. It will start back up and idle but when I push the throttle it bogs out and will not move. I have searched this problem and have found things about the carbeurator. I am not mechanically inclined and after looking in the manual have really found nothing out or which part is where. I would appreciate any help at all and as simply put as possible.

The brake problem that I started having last year is in my foot brake. It does not work and goes to the floor without stopping. I would also appreciate any input on this.

Thank you for anything you help me with!

Mary

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1st of all, welcome.
now, bogging: clean the carburetor, jets, and float/needle valve/seat/and bowl assembly. look at youtube and search "how to clean an atv carb". several videos to show you how to clean it and the jets. you have to see daylight in the jets and down the inside and all of the outside jet orifices. now, the brakes. check the foot brake return spring, check the master cylinder brake reservoir for level: it's the little white jug on the frame below the seat (i think that's where your jug will be located. if not, trace the hoses back from the rear caliper). lastly, check the thickness that's left on the brake pads. holler back.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me say thank you. I took your advise and cleaned the carburetor (after several attempts at removing it!) and it worked fine. I rode it about 3 times and the same thing happened again. Do you have any other suggestions for this? I'm going to try to re clean it again tomorrow. Also with the brakes I looked and realized there is not a break pad. Where would I get that? Thanks again for your help and all help here after is so appreciated.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sassinm1
First let me say thank you. I took your advise and cleaned the carburetor (after several attempts at removing it!) and it worked fine. I rode it about 3 times and the same thing happened again. Do you have any other suggestions for this? I'm going to try to re clean it again tomorrow. Also with the brakes I looked and realized there is not a break pad. Where would I get that? Thanks again for your help and all help here after is so appreciated.
does your quad have an inline fuel filter from a the tank/petcock valve? it should be there before it goes to the carburetor. if not, you may consider installing one. now the video links below are for cleaning the carb/jets. now i know you said you cleaned them, but if you don't have a filter after the tank, then you'll need to pull the tank, flush it, while you got it apart, go ahead and spud in a filter downstream of the petcock valve before the carb. i put these videos in the post just as reference to double check to make sure you didn't miss any steps. i know it can be frustrating cleaning carbs, i know i've done it a bunch on the same machine. but it eventually helps.
how to clean a carb on a ATV - YouTube
How to clean a carburetor in 15 minutes - YouTube

so about the brake pads, the only thing left inside the caliper is the hardened cast and no pad is left? hmmm.., do you have a local china brand dealership? all you would have to do is take out what's left and match it up to a new one. now, some brands are specific to certain parts and other brands are generic and will interchange. i know a bunch of my roketa parts worked on my hibird quads. so on and so forth. BUT, there's plenty of places on the internet to buy these kinds of parts.