1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc, No spark, diagnosis completed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The posting at the top of the page lists all the tests you can do. Not right for every bike, some have DC CDIs, some have earth to run kill switches, but looks like Tao Tao have the right set up for the Lyn Edwards test sequence. Do it.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed components - Still No spark.

hello all -

I have a 110 GoKart that is about to drive me insane and the disappointed looks in my boys’ faces doesn’t help.

I have been trying to track down the no spark condition on and off in my spare time for a couple of months. Here is what has been done so far:

Removed remote kill switch interface.
Removed kill switch wire from CDI harness.
Pulled motor and changed stator, scuffed flywheel contact with Emory cloth and cleaned with brake cleaner prior to reinstalling.
New ignition kit including new coil/plug wire, solenoid, CDI, and exciter module.

Pulled our my meter and checked resistance/voltage as sets in the troubleshooter, everything checks within the tolerances.

Swapped back one part at a time (CDI, coil/plug wire, exciter) from new to old - still no spark.

New plug installed.

i am back to all of the new parts, voltages are good, still no spark.

Pulled plug wire and checked with a screwdriver while cranking - nada.

Thoughts? I know I am not the best mechanic around, but this is making me feel stupid.

Last edited by Ashley Goodin; 09-23-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-24-2018, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"Pulled our my meter and checked resistance/voltage as sets in the troubleshooter, everything checks within the tolerances."

One of those tests is CDI output, the person posting got no voltage between the CDI to coil wire and earth when the engine was spun on the starter, this is wrong, are you saying you got a voltage there? This is a high voltage, can be over 100v so be careful.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Chris Bomicino
Luckily came across this thread...

There are three mail kill switches on the ATV(excluding ignition):

1. Handlebar kill switch.

2. Tether kill switch.

3. Remote Kill Switch (may be excluded on some models).
Hi Chris,

can you tell me where the “Remote kill switch” is located, please?

I’ve been asked to look at a (partially stripped down) non-start quad and I think the issue lies in the “kill” circuit but I’ve only found the handlebar & tether kill switches - appreciate there may not be a “remote”.

Thanks!

Fraser

Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fraser,
Hopefully, you have already figured this out. On my son's TaoTao 110cc ATV, the remote kill switch is under the seat between the gas tank and battery. Look for a component with an extra wire dangling that is the antenna (black wire in my case).

Old 03-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trouble starting kids tao tao jeep

Bought this jeep jor my girls. Had no carburetor. Got one put it on... Ran for a couple he's.... Float stickn . To make a long story short, I took cover off the magnet chain housing , now won't start. Is there a ertacer position for the chain , like a distributor or something.? Can any one help

Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Ashley Goodin

hello all -

I have a 110 GoKart that is about to drive me insane and the disappointed looks in my boys’ faces doesn’t help.

I have been trying to track down the no spark condition on and off in my spare time for a couple of months. Here is what has been done so far:

Removed remote kill switch interface.
Removed kill switch wire from CDI harness.
Pulled motor and changed stator, scuffed flywheel contact with Emory cloth and cleaned with brake cleaner prior to reinstalling.
New ignition kit including new coil/plug wire, solenoid, CDI, and exciter module.

Pulled our my meter and checked resistance/voltage as sets in the troubleshooter, everything checks within the tolerances.

Swapped back one part at a time (CDI, coil/plug wire, exciter) from new to old - still no spark.

New plug installed.

i am back to all of the new parts, voltages are good, still no spark.

Pulled plug wire and checked with a screwdriver while cranking - nada.

Thoughts? I know I am not the best mechanic around, but this is making me feel stupid.
I am having the same problem with the TAO and have tried all the same things and replaced everything also and my grandson has the same look of disappointment. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by A1Rbob
I am having the same problem with the TAO and have tried all the same things and replaced everything also and my grandson has the same look of disappointment. Did you ever figure out a solution?
I found out what I screw up... I installed the trigger coil upside down. So ashamed.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2009 Tao Tao 110. I am not getting any spark unless I remove the kill switch pin from the CDI. Also, the handlebar kill switch isnt working, it will not shut off and will allow the quad to attempt to start even while on the kill option. I opened up the handlebar kill switch and everything looks good. The only kill switches on this quad, not including the ignition, are the handlebar kill switch and the rear tether kill switch. I don't have a meter to use but just wanted to see if any of you had any thoughts or advice. Like I said above, when I remove the kill switch pin from the CDI the quad starts up. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you remove the kill switch pin from CDI, the kill witches won't work because you have now disconnected them from CDI, Fairly sure Tao Taos are "earth to kill" so check the wire that you have disconnected, if it is earth to kill, should be earthed with kill switch in kill position and/or with ignition switch in off position, but with these switches both in run position, kill wire should not be earthed.

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 110cc, No spark, diagnosis completed