1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2006 HiBird HS 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This? What do I pull and how do I check it? I have a meter from Radio Shack no 22-810

Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

ok that's the CDI...You see the 2 wire connector in the right? the wire color is what Zrock said..the Black w White wire is the kill switch wire. If you remove the connector and use an ohmmeter it should be open or infinite.
The other way is to remove that wire from connector and plug it back into CDI..this way with the pin unplugged it will always be infinite regardless of the position of the kill switches.
Remove that PIN see if you get spark always....if you do its one of those things tied to the kill circuit.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, pulled the kill switch wire, seemed to crank more often. Also finally changed the spark plug and that made a huge difference... I feel stupid for not having done that sooner. I think all is well now.

Anyone ever have an issue keeping the fuel filter full of gas? I installed a Napa 3011 because I was still getting stuff in my carb even after flushing the gas tank twice. I reran the line but I think that is fixed too.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

Now that you pulled off the kill wire just remember when you crank...
If you keep getting garbage in your filter, was the tank rusty? If it was did you clean and reseal? or just used rust remover? As far as the filter is concerned just make sure it is a filter for gravity fed and not fuel pump..On mine there is always an air bubble in the filter.
Time to go riding, I just did the paperwork on mine including VIN verification so I can get a red sticker..since the atv I have is not CARB..

Old 10-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by wsy3benz
Now that you pulled off the kill wire just remember when you crank...
If you keep getting garbage in your filter, was the tank rusty? If it was did you clean and reseal? or just used rust remover? As far as the filter is concerned just make sure it is a filter for gravity fed and not fuel pump..On mine there is always an air bubble in the filter.
Time to go riding, I just did the paperwork on mine including VIN verification so I can get a red sticker..since the atv I have is not CARB..
Hmm the tank has very very small dots of rust maybe?! I did not reseal and only flushed with clean gas... filter is ok now that I repositioned it.

What state and what is CARB? I have an old Honda with no title only a bill of sale, can I get paperwork on it?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

Fwoolley I hit the wrong button and my Thread has been removed...
If you have small spots of rust now it will spread...keep an eye on it then seal it one day..I looked around and the gas tanks are not very expensive..
I pm'd you with my email.
You should be able to get the Honda titled and registered. What state are you in?
CARB is Ca Air Resource Board. On an OHV its not a big issue getting it registered in Cali. For Street Legal it will be impossible but for off road I can get a red Sticker if ATV is not CARB compliant..that means I cannot ride in the State Parks in June and July...A green sticker is year round.
Here is a hint to know if your ATV is CARB compliant.
On your VIN# if the 8th digit is a "3" or "C" then it is not CARB compliant.
The 10th digit is the year it was manufactured.
I have seen many people here buy the China Scooters and they find out it has not been CARB approved and you see it on CL and no one buys it.
Its great your ATV is almost ready..mine is too and want to go to State Parks to ride..hence the registration.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll keep an eye out on the tank! Im in Louisiana. Title & registration is required here but Im pretty sure the DMV doesn't hold us to CA emission standards. Most people don't register quads and I don't think its really enforced but I prefer to play by the rules. I have the MSO on this quad but not the Honda (I love Hondas) so any help getting that legal would be fantastic. I hope its not as hard as getting an old boat I bought once! That was a nightmare but I got it done.

I also didn't receive any message from you.

And thanks a million to both of you. Its been fun steeping out of my comfort zone on this quad.

All smiles...