1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Baja 250 Wilderness Trail / Yamaha Beartracker Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 250 Wilderness Trail / Yamaha Beartracker Engine Tick

Baja 250 Wilderness Trail / Yamaha Beartracker Engine Tick
Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 Baja Motorsports Wilderness Trail 250 which is very similar to the old Yamaha Beartracker. It has about 1,000 miles on it and the problem I have is there is ticking coming from the engine once it is fully warmed up. The noise does not occur when cold. It has been doing it for a little while now and I thought it was the valves needing adjustment. I just completed that task this weekend and they were spot on in the middle of the spec. I have posted a video on YouTube showing the problem. Other than that noise, the bike runs absolutely perfect and has no loss of power. (I have owned the bike since new). I have taken a stethoscope to both sides of the engine but can't seem to pinpoint the noise. I can hear the normal valve noise (I compared to my aircooled motorcycle) but can't find this ticking. I also don't think that it's the cam chain since the noise seems louder on the right side. (Cam chain is on the left). I run Amsoil full synthetic 10W40 in it.

Any ideas?

YouTube video:

Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, mine doesn't sound like that at all. Cold or Warm. You sure it's in the head area? The only other thing is the shaft runs right into the gearcase and is always spinning when the engine is turning. There are a few bearings in there, 3 I think is what I replaced in mine. Maybe try and drain and fill your gearcase with gear oil if your using straight motor oil in it. The tick, if not valves, can also be an exhaust leak that gets louder as the metal expands from heat. There is an exhaust gasket right at the pipe and head.