1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

eton Yukon CXL 150 Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eton Yukon CXL 150 Not Starting

I picked up a eton Yukon CXL 150 that won't start. I have a new battery in it and cleaned all the terminals and connectors with dielectric grease. The lights and horn work. When I hit the start button, nothing happens. I did bypass the starting solenoid and it seems the engine cranks over. The neutral or forward light doesn't come on. The reverse light will come on when I move the lever to R. I do have 12 volts on one side of the solenoid, but not the other even after pressing the start button. I don't have any diagrams for it so I'm stuck as how to proceed with troubleshooting it. Please assist.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Just googled the wiring diagram and it looks like the brake light has to be on for the start button to work, here is the (rather poor) diagram. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/CH..._195846_ja.jpg

Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just replaced the brake light, and it still wont start. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by efunk28
I just replaced the brake light, and it still wont start. Thanks for the info.
Are you holding down the brake handle? Most atvs have a killswitch on one of the brakes. You can disconnect the killswitch on your cdi to see if theres a shortage somewhere. If disabling the killswitch does not work its either your starter solenoid that is broken (can be tested if applying power directly) or starter. Since there is power to the solenoid and not further id ber its either a killswitch active or a bad solenoid

Old 02-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not trying to be a pain, but do I just disconnect the wire from the CDI itself?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

Not trying to be a pain, but do I just disconnect the wire from the CDI itself?
The killswitch wire you can cut close to the cdi.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't start cutting wires until you have sorted out why the starter won't work on the button. Once you get that sorted, if it still won't start, find out if you are getting a spark at the plug. The brake lock out switch is for the starter, not the CDI, or the thing would stop every time you pulled on the brakes.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

The starter is now working and turning over. I don't have any spark at the plug. I checked the connections and tried the extra coil I had, still no go. Any suggestions?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

The starter is now working and turning over. I don't have any spark at the plug. I checked the connections and tried the extra coil I had, still no go. Any suggestions?
As some one mentioned already.....you have to pull one of the handlebar brake levers "IN" for it to get spark....I think it's the one on the left. Have you tried this?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, I have the parking brake locked on the right side. I also have the left side engaged and still no spark. Originally it wasn't turning over at all. I finally got it to turnover, but not getting any spark at the moment. I also tried a new plug. Is there test points I can check for voltage readings? I'm not sure what else could be causing this issue.

Quick Reply: eton Yukon CXL 150 Not Starting