3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

2005 kazuma 250cc

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 kazuma 250cc

Hello, i bought a 250cc kazuma atv and it doesnt run i was hoping to make this a little project turned out it wasnt that easy. The quad bike only has a forward, it is automatic, and doesnt have a automatic choke. Im not sure what model it is, all i knw its a 250 kazuma that was first registrated in 2005 so im geussing thats how old it is.The atv isnt getting a spark, we have replaced the cdi and tested all the components like the regulator, relay, ignition coil, etc all of these work, however the cdi seems its not getting any volts. Can someone help me? im also trying to find a wiring diagram. Thank you

Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have a specific wiring diagram for your quad, but wiring can be figured out. All you need is a meter, patience, and a little help.

The first thing to do is determine which type CDI you have (AC powered or DC powered). We need to know that first because the procedures from that point diverge into separate paths.

Here is a generic procedure to determine which CDI you have:

The 2 plug 6 wire CDIs come in two different designs. One is powered off 12 volts DC, and the other is powered off a moderately high voltage AC which comes from the stator. Unfortunately there is no reliable way to tell the difference between the two by just looking at them. To be sure you need to use a meter to find out which you have:

1) Unplug the CDI, and turn on the ignition. Do not crank the starter motor. Use a meter to measure the *DC* voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" in the wiring harness to the ground pin in the same connector. If you measure 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI.
2) If you don't measure 12 volts DC on the ignition power pin, then switch the meter over to measure AC volts on the 200 volt scale. While cranking the starter motor, measure the AC voltage on the "AC Ignition Power" pin to the the Ground pin. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC. If you measure AC voltage when the starter is turning then you have an AC powered CDI.
Using a meter is the only 100% reliable way to figure out if your CDI is AC or DC powered. But there are some clues you can use that are usually (but not always) correct:
A) DC CDIs tend to be a little larger than their AC powered counterpart. This is because the DC powered CDI needs a bunch more circuitry to convert the 12 volts DC to the moderately high voltage supply that CDIs must have.
B) Most (but not all) DC powered quad ignition systems do not use the kill switch input pin. The CDI connector pin usually has no wire tied to it. AC powered quad ignition systems usually do use the kill switch input pin.