CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bought a DS for N.E. woods, Big Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a DS for N.E. woods, Big Mistake

I rode my DS once at the gas line at Tolland SF in Mass. I don't know how people ride these things in the woods, I know they are great quads but certainly not made for the New England woods. I know they are not meant for mud and big rocks but sometimes you can't avoid it and I thought a skid plate would be a good idea for protection and I think it was worse. I'm not bashing the DS, but I think people that say they ride them in the woods don't ride in New England. I'm sorry I bought it, if anyone wants to trade for a 4x4 quad, that is what I think I need, sorry just wanted to vent.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i take my hondas when io go to the woods.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

before I got my suspension NO one on any quad up here could keep up if I diden't want them to. no joke no lie. the ds is great in the woods but its not a trail breaker, rock crawler, or mud bogger.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

I drive mine through woods and over big rocks all the time in PA, usually in abandoned coal mining areas. I have skid plates on the swingarm, chassis and a- arms. The biggest thing I have a problem with is the width going through tight trees and going fast on the rocks (and smacking into some). You might think about getting a steering stabilizer to help with the rocks. It will help the handlebars from getting jerked out of your hand when you smack a rock. You also should consider bigger tires and/or just tires with 6 plys like RAZRs since mine get cut up on the rocks. Ya, my rims are banged up, still trying to find where to get steel rims for a DS. As for the mud I haven't had a problem, no more than any other sport quad I ride with. I've gotten stuck in streams a few time from the low ground clearance but other than bigger tires possibly helping, haven't found a way to completely avoid that. Would I give it up for a 4x4 utility? No, the DS can't be beat on the straight a ways and will jump better on the coal hills than any 4x4. I have a Honda 400EX too which doesn't have the power the DS has, so I barely use it.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, reiner, Ever go to the CT Riders page?

Have pics of me and my Buds Bombs in Tolland. His first time ever on a quad, he bought a new 650.
Had it stuck 50 times on that Tolland ride. Sometimes every 10 feet.

Give me a yell.

Ps going to Pittsfield on Sunday for trail cleanup with the western mass club!!

Old 06-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Ds racer 666

I noticed your in Rochester..I am in Northwood..Lets do some ridding..I have a V (and a DS that I am trien to unload so I can get another V)...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

I dont do much trail or pit riding any more do to loss of riding area's, mostly just tracks and pratice tracks.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reiner
I rode my DS once at the gas line at Tolland SF in Mass. I don't know how people ride these things in the woods, I know they are great quads but certainly not made for the New England woods. I know they are not meant for mud and big rocks but sometimes you can't avoid it and I thought a skid plate would be a good idea for protection and I think it was worse. I'm not bashing the DS, but I think people that say they ride them in the woods don't ride in New England. I'm sorry I bought it, if anyone wants to trade for a 4x4 quad, that is what I think I need, sorry just wanted to vent.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
I felt the same way when I first bought mine, once you get used to riding it, you'll love it. If you want to ride those woods fast on that DS, you will need to build up your skills a little. At speed, your *** can't be on the seat and you need to steer with your hips/***/body and not just the handlebars. The awesome torque of the DS is great at any speed in the woods and will whip the rear around trees or whatever anytime, anywhere. Give it a chance. Remember, it's a sport quad, not a big bold ute.