Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking at a ATV

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a ATV

ive never owned a atv, and am looking at the new can-am outlander max 400 H.O. XT. that way my wife and i can both get out and enjoy it, and when the kids get older, they can ride with me as well. my only concern is the power. i think ive looked at too many 700s and 750s. i plan on alot of trail riding, some off road riding, and light towing. is 400 H.O. enough? i dont have much interest in going 60+ mph, but i dont want it to take forever to get up and going either. they offer the same model with a 500 efi, 650 efi, or 800 efi. but is it all worth it? my head is a huge mess right now, with all the machines ive looked at. i live in zimmerman minnesota, and plan on riding in the snow sometimes as well. sorry it this post is kind of choppy, ive been doing dealership visits all day.

also, is the askin price the going price, or can i make an offer? ive only bought cars and trucks so far, so i dont know the eticute for recreation vehicles.

thanks in advance for help, and i look forward to future posts.

sorry, one more thing, a trailer, anyone know of a cheap reliable trailer for a atv?

Old 07-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default looking at a ATV

I think the 400 will have enough juice, but you could always wait a bit and get a 500 when they hit the showrooms[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] You can absolutely negotiate on the price. Some dealerships will come down, others may laugh. Find a good dealer though, and it is worth it to spend a little extra. As for the trailer, look around for a used landscaping style trailer. With proper maintenance, those things can last forever.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Range Rover
Default looking at a ATV

the dealer said the 400 HO is compairable to the 500, as far as power goes. but he also wants to sell a ATV. i did a search on here and read alot of good things about this model. maybe ill sleep on it.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default looking at a ATV

the dealer said the 400 HO is compairable to the 500, as far as power goes. but he also wants to sell a ATV. i did a search on here and read alot of good things about this model. maybe ill sleep on it. >>>

I'ts comparable to a standard single cylinder 500cc but the new Outlander 500 is a v-twin, a different kind of power. The 400 will do fine but IMO wait for the 500, you will notice quite a difference in power and with two people riding, that would be nice to have and after a while of riding, you'll probably WANT that extra power.

You are making a wise choice with Can-AM(BRP) those Rotax engines are bulletproof.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default looking at a ATV

I have a Suzuki eiger and it is a 400 and runs great. I do have to say that if you ride double alot I would look at the 500, I ride double sometimes and my wife is tiny but by the time you get all your gear and two people you want the extra power, always better to have to much than not enough IMO. just my $.02

Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Range Rover
Default looking at a ATV

I thought you couldn't ride double on a quad? I am going to get mine in a few days, and was always told you could not ride double.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default looking at a ATV

The 3 north american companies produce special 2-up models, with footpegs, handholds, and seatbacks much like 2 up street bikes.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Range Rover
Default looking at a ATV

i called a dealer about 45 minutes from my house, and they said they'll be getting in the 500 next week. think ill wait it out.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Range Rover
Default looking at a ATV

well i bought the 400 ho. its great. plenty of power, and handles like a cadillac. im already regretting buying a trailer for the single atv. think this whole atv thing might start a obsession. only thing i dont like is that there isnt anything available for after market performance parts.

im looking forward to taking the wife out for a ride on the sue line trail up here in minnesota.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default looking at a ATV

well i bought the 400 ho. its great. plenty of power, and handles like a cadillac. im already regretting buying a trailer for the single atv. think this whole atv thing might start a obsession. only thing i dont like is that there isnt anything available for after market performance parts.
>>>>>>>>>>

There are pipes and jet kits available for the Outlander 400 now, go to Rockymountainatv.com.

What part of MN are you in? I used to live about 30 miles east of Fergus Falls in Ottertail county from 3-10 grades.