Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Atv Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv Tracks

I am going to buy a new ATV that I will use 95 percent for ice fishing so it will be used mainly on ice or snow. Is anyone using tracks on their 4-wheeler? I would sure like to hear how you like them and why. What brand etc. I realize the drawbacks but turning radius is not a big concern. Thanks for any answers.

Doc

Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Atv Tracks

Never used the track kits, but I have heard they work great. They do have a pretty hefty pricetag though... Have you put any thought into studding the tires instead?

Old 12-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Atv Tracks

I have thought about studs but would still have trouble in deep snow with tires. I understand the high cost but I am an old timer and this will most likely be the first and last ATV I would own so over it's (or my) lifetime the investment wouldn't be so severe. Thanks for the input.

Doc

Old 01-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Range Rover
Default Atv Tracks

I've seen video of the tracks being used and they look like they work really good. I took my Grizzly out into the snow tonight and It didn't get stuck in 1 foot of snow. I did get it stuck one time trying to get out of a small creek where the edge was a drop off I had to climb upthrough the snow and ice. Thank god I just installed my winch. Stock tires got me everywhere I saw snowmobiles going including up hills, but they do spin a lot to get it going and when unpacked snow gets over a foot, then it makes very slow progress and you can get stuck even with 4wheel lock on. I'm thinking that after market tires would work even better in the snow.
If you could get a good discount on the tracks because you purchase them with the purchase of an ATV, then I would go for it. if you can't get a great discount, I'ld just try out your stock tires for a while and then decide if better tires would work, or if you need the tracks.
If you do get them, you should give a report on how well they work for you.
By the way, I'm from MN too. I live in Chaska and this new snow fall we just had is what I took my grizzly out into

Old 01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Atv Tracks

Thanks Grizz. WHat you say makes sense. I think that is exactally what I will do. Great advice. Now I just need to decide on a ATV. Thanks again.

Doc

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Atv Tracks

One more thing I need to say about the tracks...........Some you can use in the mud.......Others ONLY in the snow and ice........Check to see what kind of roller system is on it before you buy.........The wheel type rollers will be good for all types of surfaces.....But the slider or Hi-fax ones need lube(ice/snow to keep the gliding edge cool...Just like the snowmobiles..........Caper...........

Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Atv Tracks

I saw some tracks on an Outty, and they looked like it made it easier, but i dont have any trouble in the snow, so i cant justify a couple thousand dollars. Anyway, thats why i sold the snowmobile, there never any freaking snow!! And by the way, we seem to have alot of Minnesotans here! Im from Maple Lake

Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 PM
DS2
Range Rover
Default Atv Tracks

I'm sure it would be a bear to steer. If you are as seasoned as you say, I would test the Grizzly 700 for its EPS.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default Atv Tracks

my dealer has an bombarder 800xt with the tracks its great i used it one time they make going in the snow just like you got an snowmoilbel the tracks that are the best on the marked are the brp they make them to fit must atvs on the marked the costed about $3000 + mount kit thats about $160

Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Atv Tracks

ok if you are gonna be using it for ice fishing 95 percent of the time instead of spending say 5000 plus on a set of tracks that will hammer your drivetrain on your new wheeler, just pick up a used snowcat for 2500 dollars. at least with a snowmobile on the ice if you start falling through the ice you crack it down and you will skim right over the top where a fourwheeler you are kinda SOL. specially with the tracks that would send ya right to the bottom. hey speaking of which i got a snowcat for sale [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hehe

Quick Reply: Atv Tracks