Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport vs Ute vs "Hybrid".....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport vs Ute vs "Hybrid".....

Issues to consider, for you prospective buyers...........

May Dirt Wheels did a shootout between the Raptor 700 (sport), Grizzly 700 (utility), and Renegade (sport/ute hybrid wannabee). This is the comment one of the evaluators made, after riding all the different machines:

"I used to be a firm believer that powerful 4X4 quads with IRS were the best for most trail riding situations. However, after riding the new Raptor 700 on very tough, technical trails I have changed my mind. The Raptor will handle every trail well except for muddy ones." There's one for us sport quad fans!

I have always been a big proponent of the idea of "hybrid" quads. This is something that lies somewhere between a pure sport quad and the huge heavy utes. A machine with sporty handling, but with 4wd just in case you get into trouble somewhere out on the trail. Not a mud bogger or a work quad or a rock crawler, just a nice little trail machine...for the type of riding that the majority of people actually do.....

The Wolverine is the best example we have (but falls short of my ideal), and the Scrambler is at least rideable. In this test, the Renegade came in at a hefty 800 pound wet...nothing very sporty about that! They rolled it, and one guy alone couldn't get it turned over and back upright onto its wheels........

Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me think here, DW with a Yamaha in a shootout, geesh who will win. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] You can't even come close to believing half of what they say. Every othe mag loves the Ren, yet they slam it. 800lbs, what a joke. They also said the Raptor weighed 400 and the Grizz weighed 600 wet. Well if they were that light wet, then Yamaha sure would tell everyone that. And if anyone thinks that the Grizz 700 will outperform the Ren and any catorgory, and buy a 700 based on DW, is in for a very rude awakaning.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Check out thread - New 2008 Timberwolf 500
Couldn't agree more. I thing Yamaha really dropped the ball with the redesign of the Wolverine, or should I say Re-skin of the Kodiak.
Cut a couple hundred pounds off the Renegade and give it a 6-speed.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly doubt the renegade came in at 800lbs wet. There is no way you have 200lbs in liquid. Dry weight is 597. My Rincon dry weight is 600lbs and even with all the stuff I have on mine it does not weigh 800lbs.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

The Renegade weighs less than the Outlander 800 and it is only 600 lbs. or so.
Dirt Wheels is full of crap! They always have been. They should change the name to Sport Wheels.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I agree a true Sport-Utility quad is hard to come by nowdays.
I run a 350 Wolverine for years (still have it) and my opinion if it had been a 500 it would have been a lot better.
The closest thing it could find to it was the 5 speed Vinson and so far I an well pleased with it.
It runs decent and handles a lot better than it looks like it would.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the reality is that Can-Am is full of crap and flat out lying about the weight of their machines, because they are so outrageously over the top???? No way does 5 gallons of gas account for any 200 pounds, anybody can figure that out....

This was never intended by DW to be a head-to-head comparison of these three machines. Rather, because the Renegade claims to be a hybrid between a sport and a utility, it was intended to compare it to big bore examples of each that are of similar displacement. Of the three testers, two picked the Griz and one the Raptor as all-around rides.

My point is that if someone is ever going to come out with a true hybrid, they need to quit piddling around with these warmed over utilities, and design a descent light weight machine from the ground up! The "old" Wolverine is the closest we have gotten so far......

Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the Renegade is an awesome machine. But he said his quad isnt any lighter than mine really without my bumpers and racks. He was quite dissapointed in the weight being far from what it was supposed to be, but he isnt disappointed in the performance.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Maybe the reality is that Can-Am is full of crap and flat out lying about the weight of their machines, because they are so outrageously over the top???? No way does 5 gallons of gas account for any 200 pounds, anybody can figure that out....
They either did not weigh it or it is a miss-print.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

im thinking they misprinted. they are not the same mag they were back in the day - they write on a 6th grade or less reading level and they've misprinted and given out misinformation before.... i really dont think can am is lying by 200lbs! i think 800lbs takes them into another ORV category than quads and put them in another one and actually doesnt it disallow it from using some trail systems if it weighed that much??

the renegade/wolverine is good concept but i would like to see them even lighter and with an option to shift it manually... i thought for awhile now that the sport 4wd is the future of atvs.

Quick Reply: Sport vs Ute vs "Hybrid".....