Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New Sport quad! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sport quad! Please Help!

Hi all I'm new here. I have a question and would greatly appreciate all the input I can get. I have searched the forums and read numerous threads but I still haven't found the answer I am looking for. I am going to buy 2 new quads very soon. The problem is I cant decide which one. I wanted to see if I could get some real world feed back. I'm looking at getting the TRX450R or the YFZ450 or the Predator 500.

I am looking for something I can take on the trails, to the dunes and on backyard tracks/ jumps. I live in Michigan and the terrain is pretty diverse. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions............. thanks

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

I love my outlaw 525. Don't buy the 500! I have friend that has a trx450. The only thing he can do a little better is jump a little higher. If we are riding on a ruff and rocky road this quad does a lot better!! Plus it's the fastest acclerating production quad! I also love the room this thing has.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice but the Outlaw 525 is pretty expensive. I was looking at that one and the Predator 700 but I had to tell myself, "self you dont need to spend $7000 on a stock quad". I'm also planning on buying 2 one for me and one for my wife but if we go Yamaha or Honda I will put her on a little bit smaller one.......... thanks again for the input......... whats bad with the predator 500 in your opinion??

Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 450R as do a number of my buddies. Three buddies have the YFZ as well, so I have put in some saddle time on it as well. One KFX450 thrown in there too. No Predators though.

Around here we have open desert, dunes, and mountain woods trails. I like my R for the open desert and dunes, but it likes to rev out and doesn't like to go slow, so I take the 400EX when I go to the mountains. A gearing change might make the R more suitable for the woods.

As for the YFZ, I like it for more open terrain as well or as a play quad (informal jumping and backyard MX). Again, the motor likes to rev so I wouldn't pick it for a trail quad. I find the suspension to be harsh, so I would have to put on aftermarket shocks, or really take a beating on this machine.

If you look at the big desert endurance races like Baja and Vegas to Reno, if you aren't on a 450R you probably won't even finish, much less win. Makes the choice really easy for me!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks reconranger,

Thats exactly what I was looking for. A friend of mine (who is also a HOnda fan) broke it down to me like this. They are all good bikes but the YFZ450 gets pricey to get a decent setup, the Predator is hard to find parts for and they are always on back order but the 450r (or any Honda for that matter) are set up good run strong and won't give me many problems. Thanks for the reinforcement!!! I went to one of the local Honda dealers at lunch and he told me that he would set me up with a 450R, a 400EX, Aluminum Trailer, 2 Helmets, 2 sets of gogles, 2 sets of gloves and tie downs. All for under $15000....................... I laughed my way out of the store. Anyone else have any input on what bike is best???

Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

I don't like the pred. for the lack of power and handling. $1000 in price. Bought my wife a raptor 350. She loves it.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Of your 3 choices Id go with the Predator for a all around quad. It makes a good trail quad and still has good power for lots of other types of riding. You can also get these around the same price as a 400 class quad and comes with some nicer stock items, making it one of the better values IMO

Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks bberck

This is my delema I have a friend whp rides each of the three and they all swear they are the best. How is it finding parts for the polaris? Its not as popular of a brand and I dont want to be out in BFE for 5 days, break a sporket on day 1 and not be able to find a replacement. I hear polaris was wayyyyyyyyy back ordered on parts. Any truth to that?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

As far as whats best, Im not one that beleives there is a best quad. They all have there strengths and weakness's and there is way to much personal preference to sort out. Not to mention to many types of riding and riding styles.

I cant answer directly to them being backordered but I have a buddy that has one and has never had any issues getting parts. He has never really needed anything but maintenance items and a broken bolt replacement though.

The predator been out for sometime so I wouldnt think getting parts for it will be very hard. Alot of issues with parts comes down more to your actual dealer more than the manufacturer. Plus if buying new your probally not going to need anything for it for awhile, except after market goodies anyway lol

Buddies is a 04 and we ride some pretty rough trails and he has never had a single issue with his.

Im just not a fan of the 450's they just have to harsh of a ride and feel to small but thats just personal preference and the fact that Im getting old lol. I also dont do any track riding either.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thats great, pratical advice thanks!! I am going to 3 diffrent stores tomorrow one of which sells all quad brands. I have been offered a Honda 450R and a 400EX with a drive on trailer for $12250. I can get the same package with 2 predator 500's w/ trailer for $9800 w/ helmets. I guess the #'s dont lie! Thanks again for the input.... good karma to you

Quick Reply: New Sport quad! Please Help!