Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Xpress 300 - Carburator Setting - Shop Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Xpress 300 - Carburator Setting - Shop Manual

I got me a 1997 Polaris 300 Xpress atv. It is my first. I have always done my own mechanics for my boats, riding mowers, small engines and 4 stroke motors so turning a wrench is not new to me.
The guy that I bought the atv from had a hard time getting it to run. He did told me the carb needed some adjustment before hand. The engine flooded, I mean, when we pull the plug that plug was WET. I had to leave and he got it working while I was gone and told me he had to play with the carb adjustments in order to get it working and still when it was running he had to keep revving it to keep it running. I have never backed out of a carb problem but I try to adjust them before I go looking for a kit. So, which needle is which and what is the start adjustment? Most of the time I will close the needle and give from 1 to 1.5 turns as a start but if I can get a bit info from regular users then it is better. The compression test yielded over 110 psi and it has a good spark. Any guidance and help setting the carb will be appreciated. I like to support my efforsts with documentation and have shop manuals for most of my toys but I am having problems finding such documentation online. Is there a website online that has that info? What is a good service manual for this unit?
Thanks!!!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. it sems the first thing you should do is too take the carb off and make sure it is clean and that the float is set correct and the needle and seat are in god shape as you mentioned a flooding issue. you have only got 2 adjustments on the carb which is the bigger of the 2 screws will be the idle and other is air/fuel screw. dont screw either of them in too tight to bottomed them out or you may damage the tips of them. the big idle screw you would turn all the way out and then in so that it just barely lifts the slide but first you need to make sure the slide and throttle are set correct. it would be good if you can get a manual for sure to help you out. imo

Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the carb off clean the jets real good.Or get on Ebay and find sledpartsguy and get a rebuild kit from him.His kits are cheaper than replacing a needle and seat

Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

I set the air-fuel screw at 2 to2.5 turns

Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

Which shop books do you guys recommend? I have gotten the manufacturer book for most of my small engines that I have. A source for the book will be nice. All I could find looked like a Chilton book.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I use the polaris manuals

Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

I did call the polaris place and they want from 75 to 100 dollars and they have to order it. Soooo, if anyone knows a better source let me know. I will check around in the net but y'all probabli already know the best place.
There are 2 screws I saw at a quick glance. One is close to the thortle air filter but it looks like a jet. The other one is a larger screw. How can I veryfy the setting on it? I might take it out but right now I have a Spyder that needs a clutch change. If I could do a quick n dirty set on this maybe I can get it running enough to drive it to the back of the house.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

large one is the idle screw small one air.
On a manual get you a Clymer lots cheaper than factory and just as good

Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

my haynes manual just goes back to 1998 but i'll give you what they have for the '98& '99
idle speed: 700 plus or minus 100 rpm
carb.type:mikuni vm30ss
main jet:155
pilot jet:40
jet needle: 5dp7-3
needle jet:0-4(169)
pilot screw(the small one):1 1/2 turns out
needle valve seat:2.5
float height: parallel with gasket surface plus or minus 1/32"

Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer