Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone have an issue with tbap changing vdc reading when plugged in??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have an issue with tbap changing vdc reading when plugged in??

Sportsman 700 efi new tps sensor and otb tbap harness, set tps to .528, adjusted idle d-screw to .710 plug in tbap and voltage reading drops to .668 and still have idle surge but no codes. Unplugg tbap and my previous reading .710 before I plugged in tbap now reads .716 so tbap changes readings even when not plugged in??? Can't get into dealer for 3 weeks to hook up to digital wrench. Has anyone ever come across this?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

May be wrong,have been before but still think it's a wiring problem. I've had to go deep in the main wiring loom way past the length of the wiring supplied in the repair kits to find shorts or internally melted wiring.Not throwing codes that can help you narrow down the area is another frustrating part of it and a lot of times wiring problems themselves wont throw codes.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Ok so I talked to 4 different polaris dealer techs today, 3 of which aren't near me. Every place I talked to said the only thing they can do with digital wrench if it isn't throwing a code is send the information to Polaris to see if they have ever heard of this particular situation with the tbap changing voltage when plugged in. None of them ever heard of this.
One guy said if it's running just drive it and see if it works itself out or throw a code. So I partially put it back together and i started her up, this time I noticed when I was checking/moving wires around, this plug I'm almost certain has something to do with it. When I move this around it will drop the idle down to where it almost stalls and then I can move it again and it will idle back up. What is this plug for and what can i do to try to fix this? Seems like it is the wires right at the plug the blue plug located left side above the rear wheel

Old 08-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

12 pin splice connector. Has two violet wires leading out. One to the ecu,one to the t-bap. Also has grounds(brown) coming out that can cause problems also. Think you've narrowed down the problem area. Should be able to snap it apart to check the connections.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

So what do I need to do just snap thst plug apart and remove the pins, clean and dielectric grease or??

Old 08-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
So what do I need to do just snap thst plug apart and remove the pins, clean and dielectric grease or??
it is Just a capped plug isn't it?

Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Capped plug. Should be able to remove the cover and get into the wiring.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

What exactly can i do with it though? If it's just a unused plug, why would the internal plug wires matter? Sorry for the dumb question but electrical is NOT my strong point lol

Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There are wires tied together and branch off to different areas. Just like I mentioned the two violets end up going to the ecu and the tbap.Same for the grounds. All it takes is a faulty connection and that could be the cause of your problems. Especially since the engine changed when you wiggled the connector.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Ok so inside this capped plug the violet and ground wires are connected so that's what I need to look at? Hopefully that's what you mean. I can't check it until 1130 tonight after work

sorry....i can read directions 100 times and srill not get it...but I can watch someone or a video and do it the first try.