Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 700 twin trans oil level

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Horn Hunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 700 twin trans oil level

Hello
It seems I have read that if your transmission gear case lube is over filled it has a automatic drain that will put it back to proper level. My book says 1 5/8 from the top.
Can I over fill it and let it level out on its own. Mine was about 1 5/8th from the top but that sure looked empty to me. So is it ok to over fill and be safe.
Thank you.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesn't hurt to over fill one a little as the vent tube will expel trapped air and fluid. Usually when this happens the fluid will fill the tube,air will leave and fluid will settle back down. My two cents on the machine gear cases with fill plug openings,I just filled them up level with the bottom of the fill threads and went on to something else. Never had a problem.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Horn Hunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT. I was thinking I had heard you say that. I ride one tough limestone mountain here in Tennessee . Got it out today after relaxing fluids, starter, bendix and front A-Arms. Straight up and down.
I noticed a little fluid on my belt cover case coming from the top down on the other side?
It was not much and it was dark thirty when i saw It. Maybe it vented there?
Had changed oil and filter as well as front and rear cases.
Thanks for helping me get it going this year.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Wouldn't worry about it. Just wipe it off.As long as gear case is to the full mark(bottom of the fill threads) the vent may have expelled some excess fluid and air. Hopefully this shouldn't be a problem from now on.Also check the air box drain tube and the air box for oil.If the red drain plug is missing oily residue can drain from it on to the cover also.