Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Defective Power Distribution Module on Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Power Distribution Module on Sportsman 500

The internet has a lot of good as well as bad things; it all depends upon what you are looking for. About a month ago my 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV went belly-up. The ATV is 10-years old but looks new as I use it mostly for hunting. l only have about 550 miles on it. Nothing on the ATV worked, it wouldn’t start, the lights wouldn’t turn on, and the display in the spedo flashed. I took it to a local Polaris dealer to have it repaired. After a week they said the wiring harness was messed up and wanted $1200 to replace it. I thought how can the wiring harness be bad on a vehicle that looks new and has not sat in the weather and was not abused? I even told the dealer when I dropped it off for repair, that from my research I thought there was a good chance the power distribution module was bad. On the web I found that the ATVs two years prior to mine had recalls of a power distribution module. Found another person on the internet who had the exact identical symptoms and it was caused by a defective module. A new PDM costs over $500. The PDM is basically a solid-state fuse panel. I paid the local dealer a diagnostic fee of $110 and brought the ATV home. They gave me all the pieces they had removed in troubleshooting the machine. They told me up front they would not re-assemble it if I didn't want them to repair it. Since I would have had to take off the front rack and fenders to get to the PDM, this was not a problem. I just prayed they had given me all the plastic parts and hardware. On the web I found a place that repairs modules like mine as well as electronic modules for many brands of cars. Filled out a form on-line, paid them $149 plus shipping, shipped the module to them, and had it back with 9 days, with a 5-year warranty. Today I installed the repaired module and now have a fully functional ATV again. Without the help of the internet I would have had a repair bill of over $1300 and still had an ATV that would not run because of a defective PDM.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Job!
sometimes your better of working on your own stuff as long as you are in your comfort level if you want to push it a little further don't be afraid to come to a place like this for extra help and guidance I know I have !if you don't mind who did the module repair Id like to put in my info file
Thanks

Old 10-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Module Master
2006 S. Main Street
Moscow, ID 83483
208-892-0764

Great service and everything works, plus a 5-year warranty on their repair.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad this place worked out ok for you. I've had it book marked for a while,gave the info to one poster,but haven't heard any reports about them until now. Good to know..https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sh...bution-module/

Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask the dealer you took it to for a $110 refund for their faulty diagnosis - what would they have done if they replaced the harness and it still wouldn't run ?
What is the name of this dealer ?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

I know this is an old post, but it saved my rear. The original post accurately described what I have been dealing with for the past 9 months. I bought a new one on Amazon from FixMyToys for $265.19 and put it on an hour ago and it starts and runs like a new one. Thanks for the post.