Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2 questions for 400ex owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I just ordered my brand new battery and spent way to much money on it. Installed it today, and it still would not start. I took my electical system off to paint my subframe about 4 monthes ago, and it fan fine up until the last month. Then, my battery would work sometimes, and then other times it wouldnt start. Do you know any common problems might have happened? Has anything like that happened to you?

Also, right next to the disk brake in the rear end, that big nut, mine has rotated off and I could not get it back on with channel locks. Well, we went to attica today and I think I got some sand in there because every now and then something starts grinding in the rear end. I have no clue how to fix it. I've worked on banshees and blasters carriers and have found no resemblance to my honda. Damn honda and their technology.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-29-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

The battery problem sounds like you have not got a good contact from the negative wire to the frame. You have to make sure you have metal to metal where the ground meets the frame, you need to grind all the paint away where the ground wire meets the frame.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-29-2001, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot, i did file some of the paint off right after i got done painting, but I will go file some more, thanks.

Anyone know the answer to the other one?

My friend told me if my bearings were shot id be able to jiggle the axel, but i cannot, it just grinds really bad in sand, and squeeks really bad in water.

Derek

Old 05-29-2001, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds like you axle bearing have sand in them. If the nut was lose it could cause sand to get by the seals on both sides of the carrier. The Honda nut is a problem. It seems like you can never get it tight after it comes apart. Check it every time you ride and also wrap the nut with duct tape.

Old 05-29-2001, 03:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Make sure the coil has a good ground to the frame and make sure the fuse at the battery is'nt blown(I forget the exact location, but it's clearly visible).

Old 05-29-2001, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well, i figured i might have gotten some sand in there, should i replace my bearings and seals though is the question. Its not incredibly expensive to do that. My friend who owns a banshee had a similar problem except the bearings fell apart and re grooved his whole carrier. How can i even tell if my bearings are alright?

The fuses are fine, so im lost. Maybe this will help you solve my problem though.

My electric system is so messed up, I do not need a key to start it. Just drag it behind someone and start it up, no key neccesary. However, if I would like my lights to work, i need a key. For some reason my lights are controled by the key. Does that help you out anymore? I musta crossed some wires, but it just started doing it. I havnt tampered with it since then, so i have no reason for it to start doing it now.

Thanks

Derek