Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 650 or Sportsman 600 Hunters Package???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 650 or Sportsman 600 Hunters Package???

I am getting ready to buy either an AC 650 w/ winch or a Polaris 600 (Hunters Package -bigger tires -winch -handwarmenrs). I just got rid of a SP 500 and did have a few issues with it, although I really liked it.

I have never had an Arctic Cat before. I will be using it for hunting and planting food plots. Which do you think I should get or would you reccomend. Any feedback would be great.

Either for $6450.

Thanks,
Mike Syverson
Pikeville, NC

Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, arctic cat. The engine is more powerful, smoother, and more reliable. Both have good irs systems and great off road capabilities.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

I don't know much about the Sportsman, but I love my AC. It pulls 800 lbs like there is nothing even behind it. So I am sure that it will pull your food plotter without even breathing heavy. I bought a cheap boat trailer out of the paper that I pull with my AC, it is a 17 1/2 foot trailer. We stacked 6 picnic tables on it and the Big Cat pulled it up hills like a true champ. I pull everything from other quads to lumber and such. We are even stocking up on firewood for the winter and we will usually throw about 4 or 5, 10-14 fott pieces of oak on the trailer to go and haul back to the house on the pipelines. Now granted, it doesn't pull those like there is nothing back there but it does do the job just fine. We put 3 people on the quad, 1 driver, 1 on the front rack, and one on the rear rack to weigh the quad down to get enough traction. But in my opinion, go for the Cat. They have more metal on them, not like the plastic racks that tend to break easier like on the Polaris. And for farm work, the 2" reciever is a godsent.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

you go to the polaris form and they will tell you to buy the polaris but the 650 does have way more ponies, ground clearance, lockers, weighs less, runs smoother, king of the mud the polaris i would say does have a better and more comfy seat, as mentioned the polaris's plastic racks and we noticed the foot rests and everything is stiff plastic which breaks really easily specially when it is cold outside and the arctic cat has the mrp and it is pretty well much limitless what you can do with that for farming, fishing, and hunting the one big drawback with the 650 is the darn belt wants to slip very easily where the polaris will slip but you have to work at it harder but for working up food plots and stuff you will be fine it is when you get larger tires and start going threw some really nasty stuff where a person shouldn't be in the first place that you need to tighten it up good luck with your choice and i try not to say anything bad about polaris on here but if you message me i could go more in depth

Old 09-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Both are fine and would easily meet your needs. In my opinion, the 650 has more power (top end) than the Polaris 600, but the 600 has better low end grunt. The Polaris also has true, full time 4wd, but achieves it differently than the locker used on the AC. If you are buying an 05 model Polaris the ground clearance is more than the previous model and should be very close or the same to the AC. Drive both, weigh out the features you want, and most importantly, make sure the dealer is good. A good dealer can make any purchase the right one no matter the brand of quad - and don't let a good salesman make you think the entire dealership is good.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Range Rover

Polaridoo makes a good point. Check out the dealership as good as you can. Ask people who have purchased an ATV from them and ask about the service department especially.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate all of the quick imput. I will pick my AC 650 up Friday am. I wish it had the mrp racks but it doesn't and he's out of those that do. Perhaps the racks can be changed,,, but maybe not. Either way, $6450 OTD is not bad I don't think for a brand new 650 w/ a 2 year warranty,,, and a winch installed also.

Thanks again.

Ragards,
Mike Syverson
NC

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

to bad i didn't still have acess to arctic cat salvage my dealer made so much money they shut down about 2 months ago and they are only 40 miles from the factory and they have a big salavge building there with everything from helmits to clutch weights to motors you name it and i could have gotten 2mrp racks for you for probably about 20 dollars and they probably had a lil scratch on them or something really minor but your dealer should be able to order in those racks and nobody can go into salvage just close dealers and people who work there i could personally live in that place you could build many many many machines like the prototypes they bring around to shows and stuff before they are released they get tore downa nd all the parts go to salvage

Old 09-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dang WEEZ 440,,, man, that would have been awesome. At least from what you are saying,,, I can switch them out. Boy would that have of been sweet.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

hmmmm hold that thought mike i just thought of something my leadman's wife works at salvage i can talk to him cause he said if i ever need anything to let him know maybe i can talk him into making his own lil atv connection business

Quick Reply: AC 650 or Sportsman 600 Hunters Package???