Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Are Arctic Cat axles and cv's stronger than those of Polaris or Honda

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While in a competitive seb site I was reading about broken cv joints and axles caused by oversized mud tires. (Outlaws and Vampires especially)

But nobody mentioned broken Arctic Cats, only Polaris, Honda and Suzuki. They all seem to be breaking cv joints, u-joints, axles, half shafts, and drive shafts with regularity with no respect for brands.

Is the Arctic Cat actually tougher than the competition?

Old 09-12-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

I did a lot of research before selecting Arctic Cat and statistically the bottom line was that it is the best built ATV on the market.

The Honda loyalists will take exception to that statement and have good reason. Honda makes a helluva machine both in performance and resale. (Note: The AC 500 Auto weights 50 lbs more than the 500 Rubicon Auto, more steel is my guess.)

Arctic Cat is also recognized as a leader in technological inovation - look at their snowmobiles. Honda gets high marks for this too.

Polaris, on the other hand, was the brand name that I always associated with ATVs. After speaking to several mechanics though, I found that they don't hold up as well mechanically or in resale value as do the others.

There have been complaints in the past about the AC fit and finish compared to the Jap machines, but I think they have overcome those issues. AC is the newest player in the market and after 5 years they are now really getting it together.

Another critisism leveled at Arctic Cat is resale value. Again, this is probbly due to their newness and lack of market share as much as anything. I plan to keep mine forever so this fact did not weigh heavily in my purchasing decision.

I didn't get much feedback on Bombadier (SP?), Kawasaki or Yamaha, but none of them were on my short list to begin with.

Finally, my neighbor has a brand new Suzuki 500 Quad and side-by-side my AC 500 Auto 4X4 just looks heavier duty. From the racks & frame to the rear end the Cat looks to be made of heavier steel. But, don't look too close. The cat is powered by a well proven Suzuki motor in service since the 1980s;-)

Old 09-12-2000, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

DreyMac:
Excellent post. Though many people will disagree, you and I share the same feelings. I too spent several months comparing each and every brand out there with the exception of the Bombardier. I tried to keep an open mind, looking at everything including the Yamaha's and Kawasaki's, though I was never really interested in them to start with. I didn't know Arctic Cat made atv's until I found something on the web about them. Before I knew anything of them, I had thought I decided on a Polaris SP500. Then I found the 'Cat's and took a look at them. After reading the posts on the atvconnection forum through all the manufacturers, it just seemed that the AC's weren't breaking down as much. Many of the posts were things like adding accessories, or tips on certain things. Comparing all the posts together, there just wasn't as many breakdowns it seemed like. Of course, like you say, they've only been out for the last 5-6 years now, so there just aren't as many AC's out there yet, as they haven't really captured the market yet.

I did talk to several dealers across the state, and even a Honda dealer that sells AC's. The mechanics themselves told me that the machines were great, and that the only repairs they made were from people who were abusing them. The farmers that were dropping 3-string bales of alfalfa that weigh as much as 130 lbs. or so from the top of a haystack down onto the racks. They'd break the plastic, or bend the racks, but what do you expect from doing something like this? Dropping 130 lbs. from 20-30 feet up is going to leave a mark on anything, regardless of the make.

Then there would be the guys who take it out and beat the hell out of it and never change the oil. It seems that is fairly common out here, but hey, common sense here, can't blame that on the machine. Bottom line is for me, I felt the AC was a better machine. It seemed to be built stronger and tougher than the rest. Granted, every machine out there is great and they all have their purposes to suit different individuals, but for me, it just fit better. I needed something tough that would last and stand up to the working conditions I put it through and get me through the hunting seasons with no worries about breakdowns. My AC 500 Auto has fit the bill to a T, and then some. I'm not saying its the best machine out there by any means, I'm just saying that for me, it's the best.

Thor does make a good point though. Just how tough are those cv joints in handling larger tires? I've only seen a couple guys out there with lift kits that have had trouble with cv joint failure. Now, are those just a couple individual cases, or is this really a common problem to worry about? It seems that there are a ton of people out there who use them, several companies that make them, and not very many people who have trouble with them. Now, lift kits aside, how tough are the cv joints of the AC to handle 27" tires without the lift? Is there enough strength there that they can handle the added weight and strain of the larger tires, or will this cause problems. Are they really built better? Just something to think about. You really don't hear of too many people complain about this problem, yet there are tons of people who do run large tires with lifts. Coincidence? Kind of makes you wonder.

Mike

Old 09-12-2000, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

Hey DreyMac;
Great post! I think you just opened a big can of worms! Nobody likes to hear the truth but it can't be denied that the AC's are one tough machine.

Old 09-12-2000, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

Cowboy,

Like you Arctic Cat was a late great surprise when I started my research. I didn't even know they made ATVs until I looked deeper. Then, remembering how good a snowmobile they made 25 years ago when I raced them with a buddy in high school, my mind was made up.

Going in I had a bias for Honda. Coming home I don't think I could be more pleased than with my Cat. It just fits my needs, my style and my budget. However, if it lets me down, there will be a Rubicon in my garage next to it.

Old 09-12-2000, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Could be just not as many Cats out there running oversize tires...I do not know.I guess time will tell.
My opinion is if lift kits and oversize tires were a good thing the maufactures would offer them as an option.. and sell the heck out of them.
For me I will stay with the stock machine.It would be nice to have the extra ground clearance at times,but how much is ever enough?
I too have been reading post of people haveing CV failures on all brands of ATVs.I guess some people may need (or depending on where they ride) must have these "extras" but they will have to pay the price and sometimes sacrifice dependability.

Old 09-12-2000, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I am sure all of you guys know that the Cats are built in Thief River Falls, MN. But I have read in a magazine more than once that a couple of the editor's or someone occasionally calls it "Tuff Rubber *****"!! Instead of "TRF"! Maybe they got something there huh!? The 500 Auto that I looked at last saturday sure impressed the heck out of me, and the video that the saleslady showed about their suspension was cool!! Hammer4

Old 09-13-2000, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Hammer, how far do you live from Thief River Falls? Maybe you could head over there and take a tour of the place, see how they're built. My dealer was saying something about them giving tours every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 1:00 if I remember right. Course, Minnesota's a big place I guess. Wouldn't know, haven't been out there-yet.

Old 09-13-2000, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think what hurts Polaris machines with over sized tires is the awd system put all the power to all the wheels all the time. works better but adds more stress. It seems that I see alot more Polaris with big tires than any other make, which is odd? because with the superior 4 wheel drive sytem I go places that quads with 27 inch mud tires are stopped dead and I have the stockers with 1500 miles on them. As for build quality Honda guys will always and will never give up there thinking that there quads are the best in everyway. They never will, they make so many excuses for there machines.
Not true anymore though about Polaris not holding up as well, my SP has held up better than my Honda 300 did, bought both brand new and the Honda saw shop time to many times while my SP has not seen any. Buy a 98 or newer. Are you talking to AC mechanics when they bad mouth Polaris? funny the Honda/Polaris dealer were I bought my last honda and my first Polaris sold his AC frachise. I won't go into details but he would not agree with you assesment of AC. I gues it depends on who you talk to about who makes the better machine.

Old 09-13-2000, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Xepathfinder:
You know, it's funny you mention that. I hate to say this and start something here, but here goes: Polaris used to have a lot of trouble with their quads, from what I remember, and what I hear. Now, over the last couple years, they have greatly improved on something, and these problems seem to be diminishing. My question is how long has Polaris been making quads?

Next thing: When I first started looking at atv's, the three I was most interested in were the Polaris SP 500, AC 500 and the Honda 450 ES. You know what I saw the most of in the shops at all the various dealers? Yup, the Hondas. Now, looking at the Polaris trend, moving towards better equipment, I think the opposite is true for the Honda's, at least from what I have seen anyway. I think it is true that Honda may very well have been the best for reliablilty, but lately, I think that reliability issue is falling apart. The local Honda dealer here is backed up with repairs for the next several months. I go down there to check things out once a week, or every couple weeks and talk with the owner. They sell quite a few accessories, so that's what I look at, tires, etc. Anyway, every time I'm in there, there are at least two or three guys that come in for repairs to their own Honda quads and are turned away, or signed up on a waiting list. This says a lot about reliability in my book.

Now, go over to the Polaris dealer in the Moscow area and yeah, he's got a few in for repairs, but I've only seen one guy drop it off to be fixed. It was taken in that day, and said to be done by the end of the week, just two days later.

The Yamaha shop over in Moscow sells Honda's as well, and aside from repairing the Grizz quite often, their next biggest repair service goes to the newer Hondas. Next question: How long has Honda been making quads?

Now, head to the AC dealer. He's mostly a marine shop, so that's what he works on the most. However, he also sells Suzuki. I've only seen one 'Cat in there for repairs. He said he wished he sold something else so he could make more money on repairs, as he sells them, and they don't come back. Biased, I'm not sure, but that's what he says. Of course, there aren't as many AC's sold in this area as there are Honda's and Polaris's.

My own dealer usually has one or two 'Cats sitting in there, though they are usually the older 454's waiting for parts. He hasn't yet repaired a 500 auto with the exception of a bent rack from a farmer consistently dropping 130 lbs 3 string bales of alfalfa on from the top of the stack. Go figure, of course that's going to bend things. He said from what he's seen of the numbers in our area, the two top of the line quads out there are the AC's and the Polaris sport utility lineup.

Now, travel to Walla Walla to the Honda dealer there, where they sell Arctic Cat's as well, and I've had two of the employees tell me that they greatly recommend the AC's over the Honda due to strength and toughness alone, and lesser degree of repairs. Now, something can be said here for a Honda dealer recommending AC's.

Now for the best question of all. How long has AC been making quads? Since 1995. They're still a very new company out on the market, and are getting beat from the owners of every other brand of quad for their belt drive, ugly design, poor fit and finish, etc., the list goes on. Looking at the numbers though, Thor has a point, there just aren't as many in the shops. Now this is probably due to the numbers of AC's actually out in the publics hands. There are a far greater number of other manufacturers machines out there than there are AC's, which could account for the number of repairs.

Another thing to consider though is what is how is the quad being used. Out in my area, we have a ton of farmers and ranchers. They beat the hell out of their quads, usually getting a new one every year, or every two years at most, like pickups. There aren't as many people riding utility/sportutilities out here for just pleasure riding or hunting, etc., as there are farther east.

I guess what I'm getting at is I agree with you on nearly everything you said. I'm too am so sick of the Honda reliablity thing, though it comes with the territory. Grizz overheating, poor polaris reliablity, ac's are trash, etc., etc. This whole attitude sucks. Where I tend to disagree, or at least not totally agree with you is that I don't think AC is given enough credit. They are a tough machine, and are doing very well for their relatively short time in the industry. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years, provided we don't end up with Gore running the show.

Anyhow, interesting point of view from everyone on here. I'm sorry to offend the Honda guys, but from the numbers here in my area, that's what the books say, I can't do anything about that. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I don't think there really is a bad quad out there. Good proper care and maintenance, and I think anything will last you. Who said it best? It's not what we ride, it's that we ride? That's the truth, let's do it!

Hope everybody has a great day!

Mike

Quick Reply: Are Arctic Cat axles and cv's stronger than those of Polaris or Honda