Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

buying an 06 400 4x4 ac

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an 06 400 4x4 ac

im buying my first atvs and was first looking at honda only but when i saw arctic cat i changed my mind emediately i am set on the 06 400 4x4 but not sure on auto or semi auto.not really liking the whole belt idea on the auto i wouldnt mind an auto but dont know much about them i also dont mind a semi auto getting to my point i have some questions auto or semi, reliability, is the semi belt or shaft,whats the gas mileage and top speed and im wondering what other people are getting for deals im buying 2 of them and hoping to get them for the price of the vp but if not im hoping to work a winch and front brush bar am i being realistic or no also im torn on lime or olive green leaning toward olive thanks in advance for helping out a newbie

Old 12-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

well I have a 05 400 auto almost 400 miles and I ride with a guy that has a manual they both great machines I've never had a belt issue, as for gas milage it's all in how you drive, it is really an issue? I like the auto just lazy in my age. If you take care of it and follow the break in period you will not have a problem. drive it like a sports quad you'll have issues. I would suggest a winch most of all you'll need it, I use mine and glad I got it. I bleed green so Lime is my color of choice but I also like the olive for hunting.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

i will be using the atv for mostly trail riding, rock crawling and maybe plowing at some point, and putting my small jon boat in the water while camping.mileage doesnt really matter im buying them either way.im just interested in its mileage.im not into beating the atv to death but i will enjoy it. i am 5'10' and 250lb so im a big guy and i do alot of camping. and i live in new england if that helps on your opinions on auto or semi and stuff liike that thanks agin

Old 12-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rango726
im buying my first atvs and was first looking at honda only but when i saw arctic cat i changed my mind emediately i am set on the 06 400 4x4 but not sure on auto or semi auto.not really liking the whole belt idea on the auto i wouldnt mind an auto but dont know much about them i also dont mind a semi auto getting to my point i have some questions auto or semi, reliability, is the semi belt or shaft,whats the gas mileage and top speed and im wondering what other people are getting for deals im buying 2 of them and hoping to get them for the price of the vp but if not im hoping to work a winch and front brush bar am i being realistic or no also im torn on lime or olive green leaning toward olive thanks in advance for helping out a newbie
I have an '05 400i manual with over 1300 miles so far (one clutch adjust,no charge) the '06 has different plastic only. The auto is bullet proof as the 3 guy I ride with have them one a '04. The belt and tranny on the AC is great. They are using the same tranny on the 650 H-1. The auto will be slightly slower at top speed and will not accelerate as fast as the manual, but you don't have to shift it either. The auto will not get as good as milage as a manual, I know for sure as we have compared. I got a major deal on my 400 so can't tell you if your dealer will deal or not. I do know that if you are willing to spend some time checking out different dealers and get a bidding war going for your business, you should get some kind of a deal, expessilly for a pair. I went with the higher volume dealer with a known good rep for service and they give a 10% discount on parts when you buy your bike from them. The manual is not belt drive, gears and shafts all the way. I have no idea where you are located so can't really speculate on prices in your area.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

i am located in ma and the auto is 5,999 and manual is 200 cheaper the dealer is plaistowpowersports.com in plaistow nh

Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

I'd still get the auto and a winch, I use mine to haul deer, carts of wood I'd say stick with the auto, or buy 1 of each. The auto is just easy just gas and go. You can't go wrong with either of them, have you thought about the 500? I like my 400 but somedays wish I went with the 500 alittle extra power.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

i would really prefer the auto i just cant stop thinking what if the belt gets wet and how long do they last. maintenance its 50/50 some people say bad things on here and some love them i just dont want to be left in the woods. i dont care about the gas mileage difference or the speed difference between the 2 just year after year of bullet proof operation and reliability and i would love a 500 but there a 2 things standing in my way $$$ but mostly the wife who it took the most time to convince to buy the 400s never mind 500s or the 500 for me and 400 for her

Old 12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

ive convinced 11 people to buy an arctic cat because i had bought a 300 4x4 in 1998. back then no one even heard of arctic cat around here. i now have a 2002 500i 4x4 manual and it is without a doubt the best purchase ever. not one of them 11 people have complained about their bike yet. some have auto,some have the manual. there reliable all the way and as long as you break them in correctly and dont go through water up to the front racks,(b/c water will get down to the belt housing) the auto will not fail you. my dealer here has been selling cats since 1997 and never sold a belt yet,and auto is his biggest sellers. if you go out and tear it up eventually your gonna start replacing things. which ever one you pick you wont be disapointed. the difference between the 500 and 400,other than engine size is the 500 has a low reverse. 400 does not. good luck with your purchase.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

I've said this before: I never ever thought I'd own an automatic quad. That was until I bought one. (sounds like Yogi Bera). I will never, ever go back. I have nearly 1500 miles on my '03' 400 A/C FIS and have had so much fun riding it. It's a tank and in the soup and up the steeps, (and down again), I'm just riding - not hunting for gears. The engine braking is awesome. I keep hearing about "no low range reverse" - it must be from potential U-Boat Commanders, as I have been up to my fenders in mud stew and backed right out.

If you take care of your quad and don't spend time pretending you're a Wolfpack submarine commander, you'll have no issues with your belt. If you just can't stop yourself from sinking your quad, then snorkel the belt above the fender, (it's right underneath it). A/C's belt housing is sealed and waterproof, (up to the intake). I have been fender-deep and never had an issue. Go auto - you won't regret it. Good luck and either way: WELCOME TO A/C!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

i want to thank everyone for there input ill be buying them in 2 weeks just in time for my b day still leaning toward auto not many people have bad things to say. and i know im not buying a boat. already got one of those so im not planning on fishing off of it.and some of the bad reviews i cant help but think that some people dont understand that beating and sinking any atv manual or auto or whatever will eventually quit so thinking ill be ok with auto

Quick Reply: buying an 06 400 4x4 ac