Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Snorkeling Auto Tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2000, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to remember. Could somebody either post, or email me the best way to snorkel the Auto tranny? I'm curious as to the best materials to use, how and where to route, etc. Also, is there any negative effects to snorkeling? Excessive heat from not escaping fast enough? I have no idea with this one, and would appreciate any and all help.

I haven't slipped my belt yet, and only have about 750 miles now, but since installing the 'Claws, I've found I'm able to tackle bigger, deeper mud holes, which seems to be quite fun. I always run 4-low, and keep the throttle up a bit, to force air out, but as the old saying goes,-Preventative Maintenance is the Key to success or failure.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Old 11-07-2000, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

Great question cowboy I also am interested in the snorkeling of the Auto. Please forward any emails that you may get on this subject. (check with the sender if you may forward first)
Thanx in advance.

shmoky

Old 11-08-2000, 01:17 AM
sly
Trailblazer

Cowboy I have had water get into the tranny vent and made the belt slip . It dident last long but it did slip. About a month later I was riding and their was a loud growling noise coming from the belt cover so I took it to the dealer and they said that water got into a bearing causing contamination. The mechanic said the bearing was pretty dry but was not damaged, he replaced it anyway. The bearing was a (sealed bearing) So he wasent to sure if it dident come from the factory like that. The inside casing wasent bad but showed sign of the dirt left behind by the water. He also said he could have maybe put a little grease back in the bearing and would have been fine. I think it was a cheep bearing, But I wanna snorkle my auto also. Please keep us posted on what you do.
Sly P.S. Great Review

Old 11-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just posted the same question on the HL sight. I have a QUadmster 500. Is your auto vent also under the front rack behind the radiator. I filled my whole transmission with water and couldnt go anywhere. Learned to carry a 12mm along just in case. I drained it and it took about 10 minutes to get it moving agin. I didnt realize at first that i was enven over the vent only the front wheels where in the whole. I slipped the belt but I think it will be ok. These belts are more durable than the Polaris. They should be they cost 5x as much. I flushed it at the time with a garden hose and let it dry. I am going to have it taken apart this week. This happened several months ago and I have put on 50 miles and am starting to get the loud bearing noise. I know for my bike the gasket is 35 and new belt 190.
I dont think that the transmission needs alot of air. I was going to seal a 1.5"round rubber hose to the face of the breather. Seal it with epoxy and run the hose up by the handle bars. I think most of the other breathers are high enough. I KNOW the tranny breather isn't.

Old 11-07-2001, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

I did some "Redneck engineering" and snorkled my exhaust vent just to see if it'd work (it does; did a lot of creek running today with water over the top of the tires at times). I sealed off the vent on the back of the tranny temporarily with duct tape, and used a piece of 2" flex hose flex hose to replace the top mounted ductwork on the tranny. I used duct tape to seal the hose to the tranny vent and ran it up the bodywork to the rack, where a tiewrap holds it in place. I also made a deflector to keep a low pressure area at the exhaust. It works, but! you will notice a lot more noise from the straight cut gears and the auto's working process. The duct work helps to damp out the operating noise, and also deflects it away from your ear; so when you change it, you'll hear more noise. I'm going to try to come up with a more effective and less obvious system. Any ideas or already done solutions will be most welcome.

Hope this helps! 8r

Old 11-07-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

hey Cowboy,

Good post, the one good thing with Yam,Cat, and Suzuki, they have drain plugs atleast. Now here is an idea for someone like me. I don't want tubes sticking out of my bike everywhere and having to break any plastic making the bike look like a piece of junk, so one quick way, don't laugh too hard but they say it will keep some water out and let the machine breath fine is get some of your wifes NYLON's and rap them around the intake vent tube and tie them with a bunch of Elastics around your intake tube. The intake should be the one close to the gas tank and seat. On mine anyway the out take is the one under the front rack so I dont' need any there. As long as the bike is running it blows out which will not let water in they say. Another good thing to this it will not let dust get in as easy also. I'm actually going to do it to the air intake to my motor also.
Hope this helps
2000 Grizz
3800 km's (Like a rock)

Old 11-07-2001, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys, This is what I did and it works great for me. I bought a 3" to 1.5" rubber reducer and 1.5" hose from home depot (plumbing area), removed the rubber elbow and plastic piece coming off the belt cover, put on the reducer and hose with hose clamps and routed it up and around the front rack. I also took off the the rubber elbow under the seat and cut out a round piece of metal and RTVed it down. Thats it so far, I haven't snorkled the intake.....yet. Good luck

Trending Topics

Old 11-12-2001, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

Remove and block off the vent that runs from behind rear pulley to up under the seat. Snorkle intake from under front plastic up through rack and extend side "exhaust" up to front rack.

Cat Snorkle pics