Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Vibration or engine area noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration or engine area noise

I recently picked up a noise and can't pin-point it. I don't have a tach but I would guess at around 2500 I get a noise, like marbles rolling around in my engine. Under 2500 rpm all is fine, over say 2600 rpm all is fine. Not even shure if it is coming from the engine or transmission or someplace else. It really has me stumped. It happens while riding and while sitting still and reving the engine. I have check out different areas for something loose and causing a rattle. It almost points toward the pull cord side of the trans. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 04-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

I am trying to think of the last thing that I did and what it was, I burnt up my 2500# winch and took it off and put the mounting bracket back on and loosened the fairlead bolts so the rollers would spin easier. The new 3000# will be here is a couple days. I guess I will take the mounting bracket off and see if that is what is causing the noise. If it is the rollers on the fairlead then the sound is being echo'd really good toward the trans.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

mine does the same. its the plastic around my gas tank. usually does it at lower speed in 1st and 2nd gear, guess the rpm is in the right spot and makes it vibrate.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the plastic, doesn't seem to be coming from there. I did not check my fairlead. I took off and went for a ride today and broke a rear axle. I had broken the rear foot brake housing before from a rock and for a long time I did not install a new one. The dealer gave me one for free and when I put my new tires on I decided to put the brake back on. Well I think that is what broke my axle today, because the brake housing is busted again. I think a rock got in jammed in there and the results is one broken brake housing and one broken axle.... Gonna replace the axle but not that darn foot brake.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mudslinginfool
mine does the same. its the plastic around my gas tank. usually does it at lower speed in 1st and 2nd gear, guess the rpm is in the right spot and makes it vibrate.
I believe you were right. I got poking around today. And pushed in on the left side and the noise seemed to go away. Further investigation I figured that the metal clip from holding the top and bottom parts of the plastic was vibrating against the aluminum shield on my exhaust. I reloacted the clip to the side and tightened the bolts holding the shield onto the exhaust. As soon as it stops raining I will be able to tell better but I think it is all ok now. Just reving it up I don't hear it. Or at least it isn't as loud. Now if anything is going to vibrate and hit it will be that plastic tab against metal and not metal against metal.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

If the little tab is still vibrating against my exhaust shield then - I guess that is why they make hammers - my shield is going to have a little dent in it. (Guess I have to get out my feeler guage and make sure I have the correct clearance - lol)....