Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

power gains from synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power gains from synthetic oil?

Have any of you seen any power gains from synthetic oil? I have run synthetic in a number of High performance bikes with reasonable gains in power but they were multiple cylinder engines. The 400 I bought is a one lunger and I was wondering if anyone here has seen any power gains in their single cylinder? Thanks for any input!

Only four hours till break in is over! Then its full throttle! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have run synthetic and switched to dino - no difference, in power that I can tell. I change oil more often and figure that clean dino is better than dirty synthetic - pure economic reasons.

The biggie is to keep your air filter clean and oiled. Dirt through the carb can raise the dickens with your rings and valves. I clean and oil my air filter every 100 miles or so, I wash it in hot water with dishwashing detergent (some type that cuts grease). I treat the filter with 40-1 2-stroke and Marvel Mystery Oil. Then squeeze the excess out.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

I agree completly with Buckaroo. ATV's get severe duty in between oil changes. I would just change oil more often. It's not that expensive and is very easy to do yourself.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I run AMsoil in everything i own, and will never look back. The cost doesnt bother me, its the piece of mind knowing i have top of the line oil in my machine

Old 08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

Just wanted to report back on the synthetic oil. I used the synthetic oil after break in on my 400 and it does rev quicker and smoother than it did with the factory oil. I also believe the quad is now quieter than it used to be. It seems that this all adds up to a slightly faster quad! I will report back when I switch the 500 over to synthetic after break in is over.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mobilized 1

Just wanted to report back on the synthetic oil. I used the synthetic oil after break in on my 400 and it does rev quicker and smoother than it did with the factory oil. I also believe the quad is now quieter than it used to be. It seems that this all adds up to a slightly faster quad! I will report back when I switch the 500 over to synthetic after break in is over.[img][/img]</end quote></div>

I don't think it has much to do with the oil but more to do with the fact that the 400 is getting broke in and starting to come to life - as they all do.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mobilized 1

Have any of you seen any power gains from synthetic oil? I have run synthetic in a number of High performance bikes with reasonable gains in power but they were multiple cylinder engines. The 400 I bought is a one lunger and I was wondering if anyone here has seen any power gains in their single cylinder? Thanks for any input!

Only four hours till break in is over! Then its full throttle! [img][/img] [img][/img]</end quote></div>

ARE YOU SAYING THAT YOU HAVENT HAD IT WIDE OPEN YET???????? that is not good, you should have gone wide open until you hit very close to top speed at least a few times in the first hour that you drove your quad. If you had done that, you would have had a much more powerful and reliable machine. All my friends have dirtbikes, and all of them except one rode it hard during break in.... the one who had an easy break in is the one having problems and it is also slower than the rest: even though most of them ride the same model bikes

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

I have broke in the 500 now and changed over to full synthetic in it also. I did not notice the engine becoming any quieter this time but I did see a nice jump in power and alot quicker reving engine. The 500 when riding it towards a bump or small hill if you hit the throttle at the crest of the hill it will now pull the front wheels with authority, before it did not. I notice its just all around snappier to ride. I do not believe these slight power increases to be break in related because the power change came after the oil change and I have not noticed any change in the 400s power since the oil change. We all do have opinions and that is why I am posting all this information or opinion so it can be used by others in the future. Make your own opinion and enjoy your quad! I figure a full synthetic oil change with filter here in Kansas runs about sixteen dollars, not much for added protection and possibly a small power gain.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]