ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   Laws against riding two on a single rider ATV? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/275586-laws-against-riding-two-single-rider-atv.html)

Junkman673 10-16-2007 03:17 PM

Laws against riding two on a single rider ATV?

I want to get newer machine. The "two-up" machines are out of my price range. My wife and I ride our 01 AC right now with no problems. I've heard rumors that it will be illegal to ride a single machine with a passenger in a couple of years . Anybody heard anything?

scootergptx 10-16-2007 03:30 PM

There are some privately owned riding areas that prohibit two up riding on a single person quad already. I have seen where people have posted proposed legislation that would prohibit it, but can't remember seeing any that had definitely passed. That doesn't mean there hasn't been.

Always best to check with the riding area you are going to for the latest information.

Any certain area you're thinking of?

Catterman 10-16-2007 03:56 PM

Not sure where you live, but in Minnesota it is legal.

Junkman673 10-16-2007 04:07 PM

We ride mostly in Harlan Co. KY on public land.
(actually, I think the land is owned by various mining companys)

upnort 10-16-2007 05:34 PM

Have heard nothing about it here in WI.

TLC 10-16-2007 05:41 PM

In Ontario Canada its illegal no matter what ATV you have,they do not even allow it on the ATVs designed for two people yet!

Junkman673 10-16-2007 06:17 PM

That would suck! My wife loves to ride but has no desire to drive one all day. I guess she would have to stay home.

TLC 10-16-2007 06:25 PM

Its just the Ontario Government being slow to catch up with ATV technology,because you can double on any snowmobile you want even on a small 250 single Elan which has less room for a passenger than any ATV made.

toehanus 10-16-2007 11:13 PM

In Oklahoma, they just passed a law prohibiting 2-up riding on a single rider machine. I think it takes effect in November.

toe

700vtwinman 10-18-2007 12:58 AM

In Texas, you can ride 2 on a single seater atv on private property, but on the national forest and public lands, it is illegal unless the machine was manufactured as a two-up machine.

The danger of riding two-up on a non-two-up machine is if someone gets hurt even on private property, there could be some law suits or even criminal charges. I remember hearing about a kid who was killed while at a friends house. They were riding together on a honda recon when it flipped. The parents sued and won a huge amount of money and the parents who owned the atv was also charged some type of criminal charge.

This might be a rare case, however it could evlove into something bad if an accident happened. Just something to think about.