Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

newbie questions on 08 or 08 ACs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions on 08 or 08 ACs

bav, I am also on my forth Cat ATV, 98 500, 04 650 V2, 05 650 V2 and now a 700 EFI. My family members all own Arctic Cat as with a total of 21+ Cat ATV's in our pride. Arctic Cats are very reliable and very durable and we have had very few issues. All brands have some kind of issues, INCLUDING SUZUKI. The 09 Cats have a redesigned steering which is supposed to be much easier to turn than previous models. And the best part of the 09 Arctic Cat's, MADE IN THE USA, even the motor.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

One more suggestion bav, I would definitely get a liquid cooled motor such as the 550 if you are going to be doing a lot of pulling. The 400 is air cooled.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 PM
DCT
Banned

bav,

My son has an 06' 400 Cat. He rides it hard, plows with a 60" plow, and I've seen him pull some good sized logs off the trail.

He said he will sure consider a Cat for his next quad... just a bigger one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would have considered one too, except the ride is rough compared to my Sportsman, and I needed a plush ride (I'm old LOL). Neither quad is what I would call "easy to steer"... but not that hard either.

I think the other quads you mentioned (Grizz, KQ, Rancher) are also good choices.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 AM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone. I'm still in the researching stage, it may be 2-3 months before I can buy (paying the truck off first). My thoughts are 400-500 (maybe 550 if needed), 2wd/4wd with lock, liquid cooled, auto, IRS, hi/low preferred but understand Honda doesn't need a low due to 1st gear being so low, I'd like a 2" receiver hitch too. I've been reading how much easier power steering makes things but it's a fair size extra cost so unsure there. The vast majority of the time would be pulling stuff out of the trees/hills, dragging a disc through the trees/hills, etc. My guess would be most of the time the speed would be under 10mph and could be under 5. My truck is an extended cab GMC Canyon (chevy colorado size) with 4WD. I'd prefer not having to fix it for towing and buying a trailer due to the extra cost - only so much money to go around.. Right now, it's looking like an 09 Honda Rancher AT, an 08/09 AC 550 would be nice, or an 08/09 KQ or 08/09 Grizzly. Fitting something into my truck bed is almost a requirement. All suggestions, thoughts are definitely appreciated!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

The 550 Cat should fit in the bed of your Canyon. My friend hauled his 650 V2 in his Toyota with the tail gate down. The wheel base on the 550 measures 50" wide. He would drive over the fender wells with no problem. The Cats are already low geared so you should be able to pull most everything in high range except the disc. The built in 2" receiver hitch is much nicer than the bolt on type that most other brands use.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Thanks CATSKINNER. Just curious about how it fits in the bed. Do the foot boards rest on top of the fender wells or are they high enough so they don't even touch?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:49 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

I read the 2009 AC's are supposed to steer easier than previous models. Does anybody know if that's true? Is it a noticable difference? Any idea how it compares to other ATV companies power steering?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

I understand that the newer ACs have an easier steering set-up out of customer demand. I don't have any problem steering my '04, 500 TRV. In fact my two grandsons, aged 11 & 12 handle it quite welll also.

Here is something else you might want to consider. I took my wife up to Thief River Falls, MN to tour the AC factory a couple of years ago. The factory is quite impressive. BUT... The test track is where it all happens. It's right across the road from the factory and I even video-filmed them testing some of the equipment. Of course they don't allow you to enter the testing area. It's dirt, mud, hilly in spots, wooded and many acres.

How would you like a job like that? I'm retired and I'd still like that job. They really run their equipment thru the mills. None of the test-machines are marked, so you can't tell what they're working on. I talked to an engineer who had worked for another manufacturer (wouldn't say where) but he did say that Arctic Cat puts their equipment through alot more stringent testing than his former employer.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Thanks bobpo - I really do like the stuff I've read about AC just didn't know how the steering was going slow around trees, over rocks, etc. I need to wait 2-3 months to see what the job situation is here then if all is still well I think in a couple months I'll swing by some local dealers and see about test drives. Come on spring!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

GOOD LUCK, HAVE A GREAT YEAR..!

Quick Reply: newbie questions on 08 or 08 ACs