Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Youngest boy wants to ride - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Youngest boy wants to ride - Opinions?

Well...now the search for ANOTHER ATV is in the works. My youngest boy turns 14 next month and had expressed a serious interest in wanting to ride his own machine...instead of just being a passenger behind "the old man" on the TRV.

The wifey & I have let him drive both the TRV & her 550 out at a friends farm around the farmyard (with SERIOUS restrictions) and he's prov-en himself to be IMHP to be a careful rider - within my eyesight - and he's ridden dirt bikes w/his cousin at their farm.

I've paid for him to attend a local ATV safety course offer thu Game & Fish last month and he & I went out last wkend (me on the TRV he on the 550) to an open field to practice-practice-practice what he'd learned.

He does surprisingly well on the 550.....but it's TOO MUCH MACHINE for his size (tall but lanky) & age & experience, even under my supervision.
I searched everywhere this past wkend and all I could come up with for USED machines was a couple of HONDAS:

- '05 Recon 250 4x2 5spd Auto - RED runs good -plastics/racks beat - need tires -$2000 - [

- '04 Recon 250 4x2 5spd Auto - GREEN runs good/plastics & racks looks good/need tires $2300 -

Both machines are dealer trade-ins at 2 seperate dealers.

It's the PRICE that has me shocked. These HONDA machines sell NEW for $3900 for the 2010 model..........which is why I paid a visit BACK to my AC dealer today, and was given the option of buying a left-over '09 250cc 4x2 w/3yrs warranty for $3200 out the door.

That's $900 difference between the new AC vs. a used HONDA that's 6yrs old!

Now I'm aware that the 250cc AC is actually made my KYMCO, and my web searchs have turned up very little in terms of anything BAD about it?

I wasn't looking at getting him a NEW machine.............I'm re-thinking it. I know the little HONDA's are "bulletproof" and seem to hold their value...but I'm admittedly not a HONDA fan.

OPINIONS?
Just throwing this out there. Thanks all.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you are looking in the right size category with the 250cc machines.

Honda Recon or Suzuki Ozark - both well built, quality bikes. You should be able to find something in the $1,800 to $2,400 range that is in good shape. Recons go back to '99 while the oldest Ozark is a 2002 model.

I've seen the AC 250 and it looks pretty good. Still, I'm wary of some of the 'cheaper' brands.

I think I'd look around for used from a private party rather than off a dealers lot.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

We started my kids on a Kawasaki Lakota 300. It's a chain drive but light in weight so it's more controllable. They also made the Kawasaki Mojave which was a 250 if I remember right. My sons started on a friend's Honda Recon. Great little machines. Even moved my, at the time, 300 lbs. very well. Just some random thoughts. I don't know too much about ACs.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

You are in the right size range....250 to 300 will fit him well and will last him until he can pay for his own if he wants bigger.

Hondas are very reliable machines, as are Suzukis. The problem I have personally with Honda is that they used drum brakes on their bigger models for too long and I finally switched brands to find something with all disc brakes. Nonetheless...they are reliable and fairly easy to keep and maintain.

The Recon and Sportrax 250EX (Hondas) and the Ozark and LT250 (Suzukis) will be excellent choices if you can find one at a good price. They all have front disc brakes (and rear drums...ugh) with shaft drives, and if you don't know how to work on simple machines, at least you can find a shop that will be able to do the work for you (as opposed to less common brands)
3 years ago I found a barely used 2005 Ozark for 2200.00 for my son, and it has been a very durable and dependable bike for my (now) 15 year old. He is an experienced rider, and will probably be moving up to my Vinson 500 by the time he turns 16.

Keep looking, they are out there for sure

Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Are you avert to buying from an individual?

My opinion is Recon 250 or Ozark 250 (assuming we are taking utility) is the way to go.

I recently went this route for my son but ended up with a 2001 TRX250EX (Recon with sport plastic pretty much).

I found a 2005 Ozark 250 for $1600 on Craigslist......an 01 Recon for $1000.....and a few others around those prices. The 01 Recon needed tires.....the 05 Ozark was flawless with a small tear in the seat....even had good tires.

In the end I paid $1275 for a 2001 TRX250EX with nerf bars, aftermarket bumper, skid plates, Renthal bars, aftermarket exhaust etc.

Yeah it may have a few small bobbles it needs but your going to save big over buying from a dealer.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just picked up another 250 Ozark. It is 2005 and came with a snow plow. Paid $1200 total for it. Got a good deal on it because the previous owner said "I am getting rid of it becasue for some strange reasonit does not plow snow like I wanted it to!" (probably has something to do with being 2 wheel drive!)

This is my 2nd one and my daughter's love these little machines.

Swampy

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

Thanks all for the advice!

I've had BAD experience(s) w/buy used off-road machines in the past, both from strangers AND people I knew. (my motocross days)
That's why when the wifey & I started exploring the notion of becoming "ATV'Rs" 2yrs ago we looked strickly at new machines, and haven't been dissapointed w/our choices...or PMTS.

I've been quietly looking for a used machine in good shape for a decent price since last fall, and haven't found ANYTHING.
Done the web, paper, dealers and ended up with ZIP. While I appreciate the notion of saving $$$ by buying used, I cannot help but wonder just what hidden problems lie waiting to soak up the difference in repairs. And NOT having a garage/shop to take the time to fix it myself.......

So....that said....I went ahead and BOUGHT the '09 AC 250cc 4x2 for the boy to ride. $3K w/3yrs warranty. I did endless web searchs and found practically no complaints or red flags in terms of mechanical problems. I posted query's on a few other ATV sites concerning any problems w/this AC and yes.....I'm brand/dealer loyal even though I KNOW it's made by KYMCO.

I plan for him to get his experience over the next couple of yrs riding/maintenance etc.. and if/when he decides to get himself a BIGGER quad.....he can "buy-me-out" on it - if he chooses - and take the next step himself.....If not, I've got another machine to trade when the TRV need replacing....
When the dust all settles after a little re-financing & the cash I had saved to put down on it.....it's all good.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you've made a good choice to me.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Congrats on your sons first ATV, I'm sure he must filled with joy. I hope he loves it for a long time to come.