Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Now the "BOY" has his own machine....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Now the "BOY" has his own machine....

Well it's a done deal all.

The wifey & I surprised our soon to be 14yr old with a '09 AC 250cc 4x2 to ride from our local dealer after school last wk. We weren't going for new....but the price difference between what used machine(s) I found in this CC range neither of us could ignore.
That and any of the smaller machines 150cc & lower were way too small! We also had to consider that our oldest boy (17) had to be able to ride it (if he wanted - although he has yet to show any real interest) but regardless - we are now capable of having ALL of us ride with our current machine set-up(s)

The wifey & I set it up into tricked him (youngest) into thinking he was coming to help us load up landscaping blocks as I'd hooked up the shed/hauler (to bring it home) I then said we were going to make a quick stop at our dealer to "drop off the TRV for some maintenance"

The look on his face was PRICELESS when we took him back to the shop and his mother asked him to move the 250 out of the way by loading it into the shed/hauler to make room for my TRV and our last name was on it WHAAAA???

Then the wifey asked "if there was something wrong??"

After the inital shock wore off.....I then had the owner go thru the entire "prep" speach with him explaining all the features and where everything was & how to use it:

Soo....he & I went for a small "break-in" ride after we brought it home:

Not sure......but I think he's pretty happy. Both his mother & I got the "your the best parents in the world speach..."

So now I have a new riding buddy and we've got plans to do some trail exploring this summer!
Just figured I'd take a moment to share.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's great. I would have given my teeth to have a quad as a kid. I have one son who isn't interested in riding. The other loves it. Great family hobby. You're both good parents in my book!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

hes gunna be 14 and thats all hes riding? haha i bought my 250 rapter when i was 13 and a worked dvx 400 when i was 15 lol i wish they bought it for me haha nice job!!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

Great story! What better way to bond with the kids. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Awesome. You sound like great parents and I'm sure you guys will make a lot of memories.

Ride safe!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

That's great! You will have such a great time, and having a new and trouble free ATV will get his riding confidence level up in no time...wise choice!

If he hasn't taken a riding course, get him into one. I had ridden dirt bikes for years before I bought my first ATV, rode it for almost a year before I finally got a (free) class, and even then I learned some things in that class about riding ATVs. In 1994 or so, Texas required a riders course before you could register an ATV, and registration was required to get a tag, and a tag was required to ride in some areas like national forests etc. Plus it's an extra measure of safety and education for your most valuable asset.

Way to go Daddy-o...I hope you have many many years of fun riding with your boy(s). I put my son on an ATV when he was 5, and 10 years later he's dying to go with me to Utah and ride the Paiute

Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
That's great! You will have such a great time, and having a new and trouble free ATV will get his riding confidence level up in no time...wise choice!

If he hasn't taken a riding course, get him into one. I had ridden dirt bikes for years before I bought my first ATV, rode it for almost a year before I finally got a (free) class, and even then I learned some things in that class about riding ATVs. In 1994 or so, Texas required a riders course before you could register an ATV, and registration was required to get a tag, and a tag was required to ride in some areas like national forests etc. Plus it's an extra measure of safety and education for your most valuable asset.

Way to go Daddy-o...I hope you have many many years of fun riding with your boy(s). I put my son on an ATV when he was 5, and 10 years later he's dying to go with me to Utah and ride the Paiute
It's already taken care of! & THANKYA!

He took a 4+hr course offered/required by ND. Game & Fish less than a month ago at our Spring Sports Show (the TV station I work at puts it on). He too had to pass the written/oral test - got certified. (aced it) It's a required test in ND for all riders under 16 who want to ride off private property (basically farms)
All of our machines are registered (ND LAW) and the wifey & I actually TOOK the 1 day hands-on riding course last summer - INTENSE- and I'm passing along what I learned by example and "dad" testing/evaluation.

There'll be NO solo riding in his immediate future anytime soon. Strickly w/his mother & I.

He's had experience riding dirt bikes (80cc) in the past 2 yrs (my sister's farm) so he's taken to this new machine "like-a-duck-to-water"

Anything that'll get him off the couch and enjoying the outdoors is a ++++ IMHP.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, awesome story...congrats!!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

That was a great story. Kind of what being a parent is all about, creating the memories. I can still remember like it was yesterday, getting my first new atv, and that was 16 years ago. Now i have 2 young boys and i hope i can give them the same opportunity as this.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Wow your son is very lucky. All i got was a big wheel.

Quick Reply: Now the "BOY" has his own machine....