Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

01 AC 3004x4 high/low/super low

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 AC 3004x4 high/low/super low

Have had no problems out of this bike until now. When in high range at around 30mph, the transmission seems to jump out of gear and into a neutral state. Low and super low are fine. Anyone had this happen or know the cause?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wetrider,

Welcome to the forum. I do not remember if your 300 has a cable shift or a lever shift. The lever shoft is a push/pull lever for engaging the 4x4. I believe it is on the left had side if you were sitting on the Atv.

The cable shift has a shift lever with a cable attached to it similar to the throttle cable. That cable can stretch and not let the tranny fully shift into high range. So See if you can adjust the shift linkage if it is the cable type.

Also, too high of an idle speed can make it hard to shift at times.

Hope this helps

Swampy

Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 01 AC 3004x4 high/low/superlow

Originally Posted by Wetrider
Have had no problems out of this bike until now. When in high range at around 30mph, the transmission seems to jump out of gear and into a neutral state. Low and super low are fine. Anyone had this happen or know the cause?
The AC 3004x4 should be the same as my old 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ if you look at the foot shift lever you'll see that it's hooked to a cable that is routed back to the rear of the engine and hooked to another lever attached to the shift shaft coming out of the main transmission , there should be 3 lever's between the seat and gas tank , the one on the right side is the high/low/superlow , middle lever is for reverse , the lever on the left is the 2wd/4wd/4wDiffLock ; as swampyjunior stated these 3 lever's are attached to cable's that can streach and may need adjusted

The main cause/reason for the cable's streaching is that the high/low/superlow lever is attached to a 3 speed sub transmission (or transaxle) , even when new they're tricky when it come's to shifting gear's ; because of the slack motion that goes along with the 3 speed sub transmission/trans axle you have to catch the RPM's just right as you shift for smooth gear engaugement !

You'll need to remove the plastic's to get to all the cable's for adjustment , one thing i'm sure you noticed was how hard it was to get to newtral if you shut the engine off in gear ; you had to rock back and forth to get newtral ; i never had to adjust these lever's myself so i can't tell you what all you have to remove to get at them for the adjustment .

It would be a big help if you had a good shop manual , good luck with fixing your quad i hope it's only an adjustment that you need ; and let us know how it all come's out !

williebee......