Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2007 650 trv, rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 650 trv, rear suspension

Hi guys, i just bought a used 2007 trv, with about 300 miles on her, my problem is when standing behind the machine and looking at the rear tires, the tops of the tires are about 1 inch closer together than the bottom. This is with no one on the machine, of course it gets worse as you put weight on the machine. I am running 26x11x14 mudbugs on the back, is this normal, i thought being a two up machine the suspension wouldn't sag quite so much. thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Jack the back up and grab the wheels at 6 and 12oclock and rock it,if there's lots of slop it may be a wheel bearing.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Cool

Unfortunately it's the nature of owning a TRV I'm affraid. I've got an '08 with EXACTLY the same issue

the rear end sits / \ and gets worse when you add a passenger.

3 solutions:
1. crank up your shock pre-load to MAX. Downside is a rought ride'n machine and it doesn't fully get rid of the / \

2. get a set of REGULAR AC shocks for the single machines. You'll gain about 1" of lift and it will get rid of the / \ but you have to buy all 4..... and it can be $$$$$

3. get a 1.5" lift kit. Some require a whl spacing kit and will run you about $160.

I'm currently looking at BOTH options #2&3, after trying #1 and and leaning towards #3 just for the $$$$ side of it.

That's bout it.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

This sag is a problem for me too....not meaning to sound like I'm doubting you, But I have some questions about your solutions

1) wouldn't work for me...can't use a rougher ride as my GF has back issues

2) Whats different about regular atv shocks...are they longer? What would having them at all four corners do as opposed to just in the back?

3) How would a lift kit would the sag?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
This sag is a problem for me too....not meaning to sound like I'm doubting you, But I have some questions about your solutions

1) wouldn't work for me...can't use a rougher ride as my GF has back issues
I agree. I tried this and the ride was SO ROUGH I think I lost a filling. All this really does is increase the shock "rebound" rate/time by increasing tention. Don't ask me to explain the whole force=counter-force math as I'm not sure I fully understand it myself I did find it helped in the / \ issue, but the lumber-wagon ride tradeoff wasn't worth it.

2) Whats different about regular atv shocks...are they longer? What would having them at all four corners do as opposed to just in the back?
Yes they are longer. As a result it pushed the suspention down/out - (like when you jack up the TRV and suspend the rear suspention) and from what I'm told giving the TRV almost a 2" "lift" Now I assume one should do all 4 to level the machine out, but maybe I'm wrong.

3) How would a lift kit would the sag?
basically the same idea as the shock(s). It pushed the upper shock mount(s) down & out forcing the /\ angle into a | | one.

here's a link I found over at ACHAT about a 1.5" lift install:

ArcticChat.com >> It's All About the Pride®

I'm by no means an expert on shocks, (or AC's...but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...) but basically what I'm getting for info in my research and experience is that the shocks weaken over time (makes sense) and being a 2-Up purpose machine, the extra rider weight speeds up that weakening. That and the TRV/TBX shocks are shorter and have less "travel" capabilities which may/may not be a factor in that weakening. The wifey's single 550 by comparison has about 500 miles and hers sits at a perfect | |

I've got close too 1500miles on my TRV and the "sag" has become more pronouced recently and NOT due to riding 2-UP. (I carry alot of rider accessories, and my big butt) It's REALLY become more of an "visual" issue more than a "riding" issue.
I recently added a sway-bar, and as a result had to soften my rear shock pre-load due to increase in over-all "stiffness" it created by linking the rear suspention. I like the improved handling......but I'm still not convinced I'm going to keep it on as of yet. I'm also not sure if HOW I installed the sway-bar is a factor either. The AC instructions were pretty vauge....so I basically guessed on part of it. I posted an install thread on here a few wks ago.

This / \ seems to be a VERY common issue/complaint with TRV owner's (myself included) Because of the link I provided I'm seriously looking at lifting mine. But tlike everything else the solution is subjective, and I'm wating for and extra $160 bucks of "mad-money" to become available.

Till then I just ride.

my .02¢

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Cupz, you're awesome....that was very helpful, to the point, and had references!

I'm gonna follow up with a set of the longer shocks ASAP and will post when I get something done....want to get it done before my Utah trip in October, but we'll have to see how it goes money wise.

Gracious, amigo!!!

Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

I changed the socks and springs on my '07 650 TRV to the longer std. ones when I bought it. I never rode it with the stock shocks so I can't make a valid comparison to stock. But I have over 5,000 miles on it now and the suspension has performed great. I do have a bit of sag due to age and miles. But I still have significantly more clearance than it was stock and do not have the wheel camber that you are describing. I would recommend this change to any of you with the older TRV suspensions. A lift kit only raises the machine. It doesn't change the amount of suspension travel that you have. This shock/spring change gives you 2" of lift along with 2" more suspension travel which is a great advantage in most situations (in my opinion). It also raises your center of gravity which can effect cornering and off camber situations as well. But the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion. I am planning to upgrade next year as I approach the 6,000 mile mark and I'm still looking at whether to plan the same mod on the new TRV. The ride in suspension on the newer machines is not 2" lower like on the older ones. My wife has a new TRV 550S with power steering. So that will be my basis of comparison by the time I am ready to update mine to a TRV 700S next year.

I don't think any of you with this rear camber concern would have any regrets if you change the shocks and springs to the std. ones.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

I notice a little "toe in at the top" but nothing to be concerned with for sure. I wouldn't worry about it. They are solid as a rock and with no adjustment there isn't much that can be done. Ride the heck out of it

Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Rude, either you didn't read the previous portions of this thread, or...well...you didn't read them.

Cupz did some research and asked some questions, and he got the answer from another forum that I also contribute to as well...and the solution of installing longer stock shocks makes perfect sense and is an actual workable solution as opposed to a flippant remark.

The problem with "not worrying about it" and "just riding the heck out of it" is that because the tire is rolling at an angle it causes premature wear on the tires at the least, and can cause total tire failure at the worst. Some of us pay good money for our tires and want to get the most use out of them by having them track correctly.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by lboodge
Hi guys, i just bought a used 2007 trv, with about 300 miles on her, my problem is when standing behind the machine and looking at the rear tires, the tops of the tires are about 1 inch closer together than the bottom. This is with no one on the machine, of course it gets worse as you put weight on the machine. I am running 26x11x14 mudbugs on the back, is this normal, i thought being a two up machine the suspension wouldn't sag quite so much. thanks in advance for your help.
I can set you up with a 2" lift kit for the front and rear for a whole lot cheaper then buying shocks, with a 2" lift kit on your TRV you will not need wheel spacers like if it were a 1up cat.

Quick Reply: 2007 650 trv, rear suspension