ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   Arctic Cat MudPro 700 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/332534-arctic-cat-mudpro-700-a.html)

jimmydm 11-14-2010 06:25 PM

Arctic Cat MudPro 700

I have always been a Honda guy but I'm really diggin the mudpro 700.
I need somebody with arctic cat in general or possibly specifically mudpro experience to tell me if im headed down the wrong path or not.

Are they good machines???(long story short)

HeftyLefty 11-14-2010 07:52 PM

What do you want to do with it?. If you want a:
Quad to race your buddies-The MudPro ain't it.
A Cushy riding quad-It ain't it.
A quad your GF or wife will love, It ain't it.
A quad that will turn your quad buddies pea green with envy, it ain't it.

If however, you want a quad you can:
Know it's waterproof and as bulletproof as AC can make it, that is the mudpro.
Head off into the wilderness with nothing but a GPS, and know you will get to where you're going and back, that is a Mudpro.
Make your own trail,vs riding one, that's a MudPro.
Put big tires on it, and play in mud without breaking anything, that's a MudPro.

TexasRoadlawyer 11-16-2010 11:30 PM

wow...almost a non-endorsement endorsement there

I rode Hondas almost exclusively for the first 35 of the 41 years I've been riding dirt bikes and ATVs. They are remarkably reliable, but I finally went elsewhere after years of frustration with Honda's "sealed" drum brakes on 4x4s...my 2004 Suzuki Vinson 500 5-speed still runs great and I've never had the brake housings fill with water and corrode (because there are none).

I was a bit wary buying my 2008 AC 650 TRV simply because I don't like fully auto transmissions, but a full auto transmission was the only option on ANY of the 2-ups, and I needed a 2-up to take the GF with me to Utah.

My AC (bought used) has run flawlessly and ridden smoothly through the several thousands of hard miles I have put on it in all kinds of terrain, both mountains and mud.

Does my GF like the TRV? yes, she enjoys the smooth ride and stability.
If the Mudpro is anything like the TRV (and it is probably pretty close) it will ride better than any solid rear axle Honda, Suzuki (or anyone else) makes, but the IRS will make it feel like it is wallowing around corners by comparison to a SRA. Don't know if the Mudpro has capacity for a sway bar, but I would imagine they do.

Those of us who have any mechanical knowledge will appreciate the Mudpro (I personally would love to have a Mudpro 1000, since I think it could easily be made into a BADASS 1000 TRV) and it's attributes....Snorkled EFI, lower axle gear ratios for turning the BIG tires that come standard, and now power steering...yes, I would turn AC green with envy if my buddies had one.

From the factory they are made for mud racing, so nothing stock would have a chance against them in a mudpit race.

I can understand and appreciate your loyalty to Big Red, but my advice would be to go for the Mudpro fo sho...

bent1 11-17-2010 06:26 AM

What you lose is life long reliability. [You can never beat Honda for that ] And about 5 mph.

What you gain. Modern technology, 8 more inches to waterline, more stock off the line power than most any quad due to the 4.0 gearing, respect from other riders when you sail through the 3ft plus water holes, the envy mentioned above, 4 wheel lock ability, stock 28" tires, about 5 more inches of ground clearence, and two cracked ribs when you don't respect the power you just bought.

kevin773 11-17-2010 10:01 AM

Go with a mudpro 1000, you cant go wrong with more power when it comes to mud (although they cost over 3000 more than the 700 :/ )

Williebee 11-18-2010 12:41 PM

Arctic Cat MudPro 700

Originally Posted by jimmydm (Post 2976909)
I have always been a Honda guy but I'm really diggin the mudpro 700.
I need somebody with arctic cat in general or possibly specifically mudpro experience to tell me if im headed down the wrong path or not.

Are they good machines???(long story short)

I guess If you're seriously into mudbogging you couldn't go wrong with the MudPro 700 , as for me personally the only time i venture through big mud is if there's no other way to get where i'm going ; but if deside to get one AC and their Dealership couldn't blame you for going into the deep mud because it come's from the factory for this very reason !

What It boil's down to is this what i want a new quad for ?

Good luck with your choice and i hope whatever you deside to get is what you want , after all you will have to deside in the end after all it's your money but i would at least go to the Dealership and talk to the machanic on duty and ask if they have had any unit's that were brought in that AC didn't cover under warranty !

williebee.......

nuckfutz 12-18-2010 08:18 PM

I have meet 2 different guys on the trails with them. They both loved them and recommend them. I have the 700se and there is a big difference.

User492 12-22-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by bent1 (Post 2977644)
What you lose is life long reliability. [You can never beat Honda for that ] And about 5 mph.

WRONG.

I've had two Hondas (both bought new) and neither were (are) reliable. The first was the XL350 which by far was the biggest POS I have ever bought in my life - ever. In 15K miles I put three new engines in it, and I had to carry fuses in my pocket like spare change. It leaked everywhere - engine, shocks, tranny.... The second is the 230L I bought just a few months ago. With only a couple hundred miles it left me stranded at a stop light and had to be hauled to the dealer, and once again I have oil seeping from the engine.

On the other hand - my 500 AC auto has 7k very hard miles (towing, racing, nephews, etc, etc) and the only thing I've had to do to that is replace two rubber sleeves on the front axles. Driving over small trees, stumps, and brush can be hard on those things...

People say how much more reliable their honda is compared to Harley, but I got over 50K on mine and all I've had to replace on that is the belt...

JohnO 12-31-2010 12:43 PM

What you get with the mudpro is a lot of things you'd normally do if you want to ride in mud. Raised suspension, larger tires, high snorkel, stiffer springs, tougher axles, really sealed up.

If you don't do mud, then one of the other Cats is probably better, you'd be paying for things you wouldn't be using, and putting up with the stiffer ride.

The most reliable quad I've ever had is my 02 500. Still have it, still runs strong, after eight years of hauling trailers of firewood over some pretty steep hills. What I like about it over the Foreman I tried out is: higher ground clearance (my farm is rough as a cob), smoother ride, and disc brakes. Don't know why Honda stays with those darn drum brakes, they're nothing but trouble.

savageman69 01-02-2011 08:36 PM

Alright let me lay down some facts because some are not getting it right, the mudpro 1000 is not geared lower it has the same 3.1 diff gears as the 700h1 and thundercat. It does however have clutch work including a longer primary collar causing to have more low end punch. Also the 1000 mp is speed limited to 65mph ish..this is electronic and not gear limited. The 700 mudpro does have 4.0 gears (not 2011s tho they have 3.1s) and also longer clutch collar as well making it speed limited to 55mph. Which can be changed with a bit of clutch work. The mudpro is a very good ruff trail bike and it does ride very well when the shocks are setup right, snorkel is nice and its nice and punchy. Having one of the best belt drives and the best 4wd systems makes it go where others struggle to go.

By the sounds of it you should go for a 2011 mudpro, you still get the good tires and snorkel without the 4.0s limiting the speed.

Any more info you need let me know, ive built up more then a few of them and know my way around cats.