ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   99 arctic cat bearcat 500 no spark! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/365434-99-arctic-cat-bearcat-500-no-spark.html)

Joe454 09-23-2015 06:27 PM

99 arctic cat bearcat 500 no spark!

hi everyone new here to the forum.. have to say this quad has exhausted me to no end..
no spark issue...1. went through the complete harness 2. tested check coil test fine.. 3. test stater /pulsar coil. test fine..4 removed flywheel inspect the magnet area.. sealed! impregnated plastic with inner steel ring overmagnets.
pulsar pick up working recieving 4.5 volts.. stater 0 a/c voltage at rectifier wires and 0 a/c voltage going to cdi box. "ac voltage only" has good grounds cdi box 3 wire splitter, at the coil. and even ran an extra ground from coil bolt to ground for battery bolt on side cover right side of engine.
plug is at 4.5 ohms
stater 3 wires .2 ohms.. all 3 wires test to ground no continuity
stater a/c volt input wires .2 ohms
stater pulsar coil 213 ohms
also checked key switch,stop switch front rear brake switchs hd switch hi lo beam switch and fan switch.witch needs replaced its bypassed with a toggle switch.per other owner.
bought a used stater tested the same as mine in the quad.. replaced fly wheel
problem still excites no a/c voltage coming out of stater at all.
tested for spark with a dirtbike plug i had laying around test ohms at 4.09 show very min..spark but present.?????
CDi box was the next purchase or even bying a newer style connector say out of a 03 04 and repin my harness to the new style cdi box.. way cheaper to do..any thoughts?? please help

Joe454 09-23-2015 06:56 PM

any thoughts on re-pinning my 99 cdi box harness for the newer 03 up style cdi box? cheaper and more plentiful..have both wiring diagrams wrote down for the pin swap.
stater's are the same as far as ohms. wiring and flywheels the same
i know this way to technical for most.. but willing to do at this point.

Joe454 09-25-2015 05:49 PM

ok have a question of the tech savy guys/gals. flywheel question?for the 99 arctic cat bearcat 454 500cc funny thing is i'm getting 4.5 volts from the pulsar coil..(trigger).. 0 voltage out of the ac "white /yellow" wires. 0 ac voltage out of the 3 black ac wires that go to rectifier.
flywheel Part # F4T456 is stamped into it.. no way to tell if its a magnet issue?? it is a sealed unit. steel ring over top of magnets. and impregnated composit around the magnets..
question is: is it still possible for the magnets to still loosen up and move freely in the flywheel.and not be able to see them spinning inside the flywheel?

Ronald Maranto 10-31-2015 02:47 AM

arctic cat 500 no spark

Originally Posted by Joe454 (Post 3301441)
hi everyone new here to the forum.. have to say this quad has exhausted me to no end..
no spark issue...1. went through the complete harness 2. tested check coil test fine.. 3. test stater /pulsar coil. test fine..4 removed flywheel inspect the magnet area.. sealed! impregnated plastic with inner steel ring overmagnets.
pulsar pick up working recieving 4.5 volts.. stater 0 a/c voltage at rectifier wires and 0 a/c voltage going to cdi box. "ac voltage only" has good grounds cdi box 3 wire splitter, at the coil. and even ran an extra ground from coil bolt to ground for battery bolt on side cover right side of engine.
plug is at 4.5 ohms
stater 3 wires .2 ohms.. all 3 wires test to ground no continuity
stater a/c volt input wires .2 ohms
stater pulsar coil 213 ohms
also checked key switch,stop switch front rear brake switchs hd switch hi lo beam switch and fan switch.witch needs replaced its bypassed with a toggle switch.per other owner.
bought a used stater tested the same as mine in the quad.. replaced fly wheel
problem still excites no a/c voltage coming out of stater at all.
tested for spark with a dirtbike plug i had laying around test ohms at 4.09 show very min..spark but present.?????
CDi box was the next purchase or even bying a newer style connector say out of a 03 04 and repin my harness to the new style cdi box.. way cheaper to do..any thoughts?? please help

Hello;
I have run into this problem before,since you have checked most of the electrical components,maybe this could be your problem.First you said you checked the flywheel magnets did you try to move any of the magnets,sometimes when they come loose they move around and look normal.If that is ok.Lets check one of the most common problems with this machine I have 3 of them one 500 and 2 454's and I'am an old motorcycle mechanic for 40 years.Check the plug where your voltage regulator plugs into on the wiring harness unplug it.It's the red wire on the top right side of the plug it's heavier than the other wires.The connector on this wire sometimes goes bad from the heat of the regulator and getting dirty and wet.You should splice back a couple of inches of the wrapping to make sure it has not melted into any of the other wires.You want to look at all the wires and connectors going to the plug.Sometimes the red wire melts into the other wires.I usually splice back 3 inches to see,if you see any melted together just make a splice to repair them and solder the wires.This RED wire supplies you 12 power to the rest of the system and when it is pluged into your regulator completes the circiut that supplies spark to you spark plug.Besides this there are many electrical problem with this machine,the stator is the main problem if the trigger coils are bad you won't get any spark and sometimes they test good with an ohms meter.Good luck.
Ron

Josh Campbell 03-03-2017 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Joe454 (Post 3301446)
any thoughts on re-pinning my 99 cdi box harness for the newer 03 up style cdi box? cheaper and more plentiful..have both wiring diagrams wrote down for the pin swap.

just try it if you already have it , not going to hurt anything , if anything your bike just won't run rite because rpm retardation or spark or what ever else your CDI runs , and you will not hurt anything because it won't be long before it pisses ya off at how shitty it runs and you will switch back lol , my answer is just to try it , especially if they are cheap like ya say .

Pmartin37166 01-08-2018 07:49 PM

repinning the cdi 03 Yamaha bear tracker230

You was talking bout repinning the cdi do you know how or know of and videos picture

Pmartin37166 01-08-2018 07:51 PM

repinning the cdi 03 Yamaha bear tracker230

You was talking bout repinning the cdi do you know how or know of and videos picture

Marvin Herren 11-20-2020 01:19 PM

98 xplorer 300

Hello all,
I have a 1998 polaris xplorer 300 that seems to fill the bottom end and the exhaust up with fuel, anyone know why this would happen?