ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   What's your maintenance plan? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/365495-whats-your-maintenance-plan.html)

Alex G. 09-29-2015 12:10 PM

What's your maintenance plan?

I did post this same question on another avt forum, but there are members here that aren't members there and visa-versa...

So with the recent discovery of a cracked CV boot, lack of diff fluid in the front and water contaminated diff fluid in the rear, I now know that I need to check not only fluids (other than oil)more often but things like CV boots and coolant as well.
There are lots of people here that ride WAY more than I do and now that fall is here, many ATV turn into hunting equipment vs fun equipment.
So, I'm curious on your maintenance routines for your machines.
What do you check?
How often do you check?
things like that...

Oh and just so it's no surprise, before the above, all I ever did was change the oil yearly, check the oil once a month and the tire pressure before each ride.

Oh yeah and I also discovered that the rear diff drain and the hole in the skid plate don't line up to just pop the drain plug and it will drain straight down. I need to cut a 1" wedge of a solo-cup and wedge it thru the skid plate hole under the drain plug so when I pull the plug it doesn't make a mess on the skid plate.

Alex G. 10-07-2015 01:38 PM

wow... no maintenance plans....:huh: nice

old polaris tech 10-07-2015 02:25 PM

In every owners manual is a schedule of maintenance for items to be performed based on hours or mileage. This schedule is just an "average" as maintenance really depends on how a machine is used. If used as a daily work horse you can throw schedules away. Same thing if it's a garage queen and never has seen rain or mud. Every owner needs to go past depending on just schedules and get to know their machines from top to bottom. Manufacturers want to sell atvs and imo most schedules are based at the limit services should be performed. If your riding is done on sand dunes do you check air filters every 100 hrs or so? If so,then you'll be facing a lot of repairs.No set schedule of maintenance can be good enough for every atv and every rider.Riding habits,riding conditions,how much it's used dictate any kind of maintenance that's needed along with a little common sense.

Alex G. 10-07-2015 03:04 PM

perfect... totally agree OPT...

Scooter86 10-07-2015 04:42 PM

I am constantly looking stuff over. After every ride during clean up is the best time. Wear items I replace before needed, otherwise follow the owners manual. I do try and hit things early, and I have replaced serviceable parts before a big trip if they are getting close.

hydrex 01-16-2016 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I change oil every 500 miles as well as differential lube. Inspect cv boots on front every time I ride, mine has straight rear suspension. At 6,600 miles , never had water in differentials, btw. I changed antifreeze at 5,000 miles and spark plug. Will be installing a Web cam soon, so re jetting the carb and doing a few plug chops so I'll probably have a new plug. Here is a report from Blackstone Labs on my last 500 mile oil change. May switch to Rotella T6 after the cam. BTW K&N air filter and Fram oil filter, driven some dusty trails.

old polaris tech 01-17-2016 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by hydrex (Post 3312623)
May switch to Rotella T6 after the cam.

Good oil! A lot of atv and cycle owners are running this. Jaso rated for wet clutches,used it my old Honda Nighthawk for years even though I wasn't able to ride it much before I sold it this past April. My son used Rotella T6 in both his Suzukis. An SV650 and later on his 2007 SV1000.He put a lot of hard miles on each one and never had a problem.

Bratman2 01-17-2016 09:31 AM

Pretty much what old Polaris tech stated, it depends.
Hydrex, why change when you have such a good report? Blackstone said you could go 750 miles with no problems. Myself, I would be sticking with the 0w-40.

Alex G. 01-17-2016 02:20 PM

Seeing as I had ordered the diff bladders I decided to take off the old and install the new. Visual inspection didn't reveal any holes but when I turned it upsidedown, clear water came out...

User492 08-31-2016 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alex G. (Post 3303077)
wow... no maintenance plans....:huh:

That chit is over rated!!!