Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat Diesel Kills Snow Plow

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat Diesel Kills Snow Plow

12-18 inches of heavy wet snow was just too much for the push tubes on my 72" Cycle Country Plow. The torque of the diesel is like a locomotive. Kinda wanted to beef em up , anyway. Check out my $20 Walmart LEDs.

Attached Thumbnails Arctic Cat Diesel Kills Snow Plow-p1010194.jpg   Arctic Cat Diesel Kills Snow Plow-p1010193.jpg  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, diesel torque wins again. It looks like that heavy wet snow was as solid as a tree stump. I read about that nasty nor'easter you folks get hit with. We are dry as a bone here in Colorado. Not good. My ATV will not defend against a wildfire.

Cycle Country got its start back in the 1980s in Spirit Lake, Iowa, if memory serves me. We used to chuckle at the thought of an ATV trying to plow snow. Helpless we thought. The snow plowing job was for pickups and tractors. But the company has been successful, and now I have a quick attach snow plow for my Outlander. Opinions change. I don't know how stout the push bars are.

David

Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 60" Cycle Country plow on my AC 400. Now I'm hesitant to mount the 60" plow on the diesel. The 400 is useless to move the heavy stuff. Yes, that was quite a storm, blew like a hurricane. We never think of wildfires, because we get lots of snow and rain, but, you are right, and I need to cut some trees that are too close to my house, as I live right in the woods.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ouch...LOL
When the plows for the atv's first came out they were useless pc's of junk. They would always ride on top of the snow instead of pushing. Now that the manufactures have fine tuned them they are much better. Now they just have to make them stand up to a diesel..

Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Not surprised to see that kind of damage. We had that same super saturated snow here in Northern Mass. and I heard a pop plowing. The plow was moving side to side a lot. It either loosened the mount on the quad up or snapped one or two of the 4 bolts. Was some of the nastiest snow I've ever dealt with in 53 years. Got soaked by the rain coming sideways. I would have rather got 2' of powder than that. Am hoping to take a look underneath tomorrow when it warms up. Was bad snow for sure.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

holy cow!! What are the horsepower and torque ratings for the 700 diesel cat anyway? my new sportsman 800 makes something like 45hp and 45 ft lbs of torque and I thought that was a lot. I'd imagine the diesel would make even more torque.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the QuadBoss pile driver plow and push tube, extremely stout and quite heavy. Actually a much more heavy duty plow set up then I need. Push tube appears to be 14" wall tubing and the blade (60") weighs a ton. it is the heaviest plow set up I have ever saw for atv's and utv's. You might look into them.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Good news, Cycle Country warranted my plow. I bought some heavy walled tubing to drive inside the push tubes. I have turned up the fuel to the max and advanced the timing 5 degrees. I have a Mitsubishi Turbo on the way. I can tell you this motor stock is kinda pokey, but turned up, the torque is unreal! To be honest, I've been a drag racer forever (used to drag race Mazda Rotaries) finally, I understand what torque is. If I give it half throttle, I can't imagine what would stop it. Full throttle, stuff can break. It's a locomotive on 30" Mudzillas. I've heard that with the turbo, maybe only 45 hp, but torque has gotta be unreal. I can't believe AC just stopped building it. They did a **** poor job of promoting a great machine. Picture the torque of the 800 or 1000 cc gas ATV at just off idle, then just climbing. Governor is only 4300 rpm which equals around 45 mph. but on 25" tires. I've had her to 49 mph gps. They offer a 4,500 rpm governor spring also. Bunch of youtube videos if you search Arctic Cat 700 diesel and AC turbo diesel. Matt Whitbread has one at the sled pulls that demos the torque.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I have the QuadBoss pile driver plow and push tube, extremely stout and quite heavy. Actually a much more heavy duty plow set up then I need. Push tube appears to be 14" wall tubing and the blade (60") weighs a ton. it is the heaviest plow set up I have ever saw for atv's and utv's. You might look into them.
Was thinking about Hydrex's plow tubes getting bent. I'd rather the plow tubes bend than the frame. Hope to get under my quad and check things out to see what needs fixing.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Honestly, when I saw the CC frame mount, I was kind worried that it might be the weak link. I believe Arctic Cat frames are pretty stout, they must be. I have the same frame as the TRV models. I certainly wouldn't mind having a TRV 1,000 cc gas model to compare. So this morning it was just above 0F and it wouldn't start! I pulled off the fuel filter and, holy cow! It was full of ice, dirt and crud! It only had 200 miles, guess the previous owner was kinda lax with maintenance. New filter, started right up.