Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 Cat 90 atv 2 Stroke carb question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cat 90 atv 2 Stroke carb question..

Hey gang. Does anyone know if, the Polaris Scrambler 90 has the exact same motor- carb set up, build by Adly I believe. Kymco build them from 04 on I think. But I'm looking to change the electric choke to a manual. And the only available kits I see online are advertised for the Polaris. But as long as the electronic choke has the wires at the Top of the unit, I'm told it is an exact fit. It's bin 3 months of torture on this kids quad. I just need it fixed. Any should advice or direction here is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably similar engine as the Eaton or Polaris(Aeon) as several different manufacturers used the same basic engine design.If your carb looks like this Polaris 90 carb with the electric choke,then the manual choke kit will probably fit.Plus on first crank in the morning block off the air box intake tube with your thumb. Makes starting these little engines easier. Once warm,you can kill it and it'll fire right back up.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Cat 90 atv 2 Stroke carb question..-carburetor-2-stroke-atv-polaris-scrambler-50.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default .....

Thanks OPT. I will try that for sure tonight. So the manual choke with the thumb over the airbox trick should b the magic combo? Also seeing as I have a very experienced guy here Im having another issue with it. When I do get it running, it will review up nicely, idle well, but then shut right down. Like I hit the kill switch or turn it off. Sometimes it will restart right away, other times not. I've checked the readings on the stator, and it has a new battery. Carb is cleaned with new jets, running premix no auto oiler. Top end brand new. Plug is good and getting very good spark outside the chamber anyway. I've checked the on/ off switch at the handle bar and cleaned it. But it still does this constantly. I'm def going mad at this point. At this point if I had a hand grenade....Ya.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Remove the gas cap and see if runs ok. Could be a pinched tank vent or petcock may be slow/stopped up to keep the carb filled up.One other thing you can do is disconnect the kill wire from the cdi. If it keeps running,then could be a problem in either the ignition switch,left control switch or the cdi kill circuit itself.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default .....

Ok cool. Fuel lines are good, no visible issue with them. I'll def do the kill wire disconnect today. Working without a wiring diagram, so I'll do a bit of hit and miss on the wire disconnect for the coil and CDI. I don't think the coil will b hard but not sure about the CDI kill wire. It just has 4 wires coming out of it. With 2 separate quick connects going to the harness.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kill wire is normally a black or black with a white stripe on Polaris 90s. Could be some other color on your Cat.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default More fun..

So last night, I went to start the lemon. Put my finger over the airbox tube and did the usual stuff to get her started. She wouldn't even try to catch. Checked for spark...Again, and seemed very good. It took half an hour of messing with it and even a few shots of ether in the carb to get it wanting to go. Eventually, it would start then die, start then die, until it would allow me to give it slight throttle and reg. It got nice and warm, ran good. Then it stumbled, continued to run ok, then gave what sounded like a snap noise from the exhaust. And immediately shut off. After this, it absolutely would not restart. Starter spinning away, pulled the plug again, colour not bad, had good spark outside the cylinder. I know this is a sign within itself, that the engine is warm and it died this way and wouldn't restart. But I'm missing it. Btw, I wasn't able to disconnect the CDI kill switch while it was running. But the left button def shuts her down if hit while running. Still at a loss..

Old 03-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You didn't say whether you have a new top end or not,but check compression even if it does to see where you stand.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Top end

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You didn't say whether you have a new top end or not,but check compression even if it does to see where you stand.
. Is new right from cat 2 weeks ago. That being said, the compression still seemed low at 85 ish. I pressure checked the motor after the top end was completed along with the Reed and intake boot. Used three bond to seal everything upon reassembly. But I didn't split the cases to do the crank seals. I'm thinking that left on could b an issue. Is it accessable to replace, without cracking the cases thou? Christ I hope so...I had the drive apart to replace parts there. I can clearly see the seal, but can't get an answer from anyone here, as to if it will come out/ in from the left side with crank still installed..

Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

85 is too low with a new top end.. Polaris 90 minimum from the manual is 115 psi,but many can run on lower compression rates than that,but still sounds like to me you're down to the crank seals that most people over look.