Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

new to me 2004 4 stroke AC 90 no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 2004 4 stroke AC 90 no spark.

I have a digital multi meter, I swapped the battery out of my son's Trx 90 . The starter just clicks but I did verify there was 12v present at the starter wire. I tested the ignition and its working, bypassed the brake safety, the kill switch seems to function.

The fuse is good under the seat , the grounds are all connected

If I test voltage between the 2 wires that feed the coil I get 5v.

No spark when I try to kick start it though. Could somebody point me towards a thread or have directions for ruling out different reasons for no spark? I paid 200 for the little quad and just want narrow down the issue before I start throwing money at it.

I made use of an old gravel pit - converted into a mx style track for the kids and having another running 90 would great

Thanks- Mike

Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Wondering if you have a bad voltage regulator. Sometimes, when you run out of answers, you have to bite the bullet and take to a mechanic, or God forbid, the dealer. My dealer charges $65/hr, I've only taken a bike there once, but they did a good job, charged me $32.50 for labor that would have taken me 4 hours. My regular ATV mechanic charges $55/hr and is awesome. So, you only spent $200, you might have to spend a couple more...

Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the reply but it's 110$ an hour at the Atv shops here and I own a shop - Transmision , marine motor, turbocharger rebuilds and the typical automotive stuff. So I'm not affraid to get my hands dirty I just needs some info on voltages etc.

Not trying to sound snooty either id just rather not give the local yahoos my hard earned money if there is a simple break down for voltage checks , resistance or the like

Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

buy the manual.