Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Questions about new 2017 Alterra 300 ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about new 2017 Alterra 300 ???

I have a couple of dumb questions about my new 2017 Alterra 300. Just brought it home today. I've never had a quad before so bear with me . . .

- I can't determine the engine oil level. It looked like it was empty (sight glass) so I added about a half-quart and it still looked empty. Either that or the oil is so clear that it was full and I just couldn't see it. I've parked the atv on a slight incline, left and right, and I still can't tell. I've had sight glasses on motorcycles and it was easy to tell. Either the atv is almost empty or it was full and I have over-filled it. The only way I know to be sure is to drain the oil tomorrow and put the exact amount in (1.7 qts) and see what the sight glass shows ?????

- This is an automatic but I don't hear it shifting. Should it automatically shift thru several gears?

- I didn't want to stress it since it's new but I got it up to about 23 MPH and it felt like top-end wasn't much higher ???? I know it depends on many factors, but with an average size guy, on flat blacktop, with the stock knobby tires, what is the approx top-end?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Cowbird
- This is an automatic but I don't hear it shifting. Should it automatically shift thru several gears?
OK, I got an answer to this question. The CVT transmission does not shift.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...e_transmission

Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a good video on how a cvt system works.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Here's a good video on how a cvt system works.
Thank you. Good video.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You shouldn't "feel" the transmission shift at all. It tecnnically does shift but its constantly doing so to match the exact speed you're going. It doesn't have set shift points like an automotive automatic transmission or torque converter. Low range is generally about a 2 to 1 gear reduction in most cvt auto machines. My Brute Force 650 tops out at about 65 mph in high range but in the low 30's in low range, though I seldom go more than about 15 mph in low. I watched a review video of the Brute Force 300 a couple years ago and it topped out at 52 mph and that was with a 210 lb rider on it. The Alterra 300 has the same engine so it should be just as fast.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Might have to break in the engine and drive train. Sometimes they are slow to get broken in. Give it a little time and call the dealership and see what they say.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I'd follow the guide lines in the owner's manual for break in. but once broken in, it should top out over 50 mph. You can also play with the CVT later to change performance . You can tune to get more top end or more bottom end. I re-clutched my AC 700 for more bottom end power.. Now it tops out at 55-60 mph, but acceleration is very strong, it rips! Actually, bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with the little 300.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

An update: I changed the oil today. As the oil drained I could see why I was confused about the level in the sight glass: the oil was almost clear. So clear that it wasn't real visible in the sight glass. But as the oil drained I could definitely see the level dropping in the sight glass. I put exactly 1.5 qts (value from service manual) and the level came to exactly the the "H" mark after running the engine for a few minutes and letting the oil drain back down into the sump. All's well in the world.