Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2014 Busted Belt on Primary???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Busted Belt on Primary???

Hey all my 2014 arctic cat 500 xt broke a belt last weekend, took it up to NH and after riding 5 hrs I smelt the burning signs of a failure, let me sum up what happened, rode for 5-6 hrs belt finally just gave out , ATV has only 900 miles on it, took the cover off the primary and secondary and is was totally dry , the belt was shredded but still intack. the primary looked like a bottle of marbles all 8 weights and the 4 spacers where thrown around inside the primary, nothing obvious broken, chips, cracks, nada...... I removed the primary with an impact driver and all parts where inside the clutch. One of the weights where shattered and all 4 spacers where broken , I did not ride hard at all just basically 30-40 mph through the woods then it totally stopped, atv went nowhere, TG for my buddy that towed me out 10 miles

Does this sound normal? has any one heard of this happen?
bad belt?
Iam confused on what to do buy the parts and have it happen again?
any advice besides sell it would be gr8t LOL

Mike

Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

I've never had a problem with belts on any of my Cats, but heat is the enemy. If you ride at slow speeds in Hi range, you generate a lot of heat. Try to use Low on hills especially. That being said, I don't practice what I preach, especially with the Diesel. 1 nice feature of the AC Diesel, they have a blower to force air thru the CVT.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanx Hydrex for input I am just struggling with the fact that it could happen again and everyone I have spoke with said they never heard of that on a machine with 900 miles

Mike