Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hot clutch cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot clutch cover

Hi. I purchsed a 2013 Artic Cat 400 4x4 with only 780 kms on it. Prior to buying, I have never own an ATV or even road one. Going to use it mainly for ice fishing. I have taken it for a few rides around the property to get the feel of it but find that the clutch cover gets very hot after 10 - 15 minutes of riding and now there in a very small amount of oil that will drip occasionally out of the drain hole onto the foot board. It is a very small leak right now and afraid it will only get worse. I understand why there should be no oil getting into the clutch area and there wasn't any evidence of an oil leak when I purchased it, but that could have been washed off prior to me going to buy it. It runs awesome other than the cover getting really hot, hot enough I can't touch it for very long. I'm sure this can't be right. If anyone can give me some help as to what is causing this & some direction on how to maybe fix it, I would be very greatful. I'm pretty handy with tools and have googled how to get the clutch cover off etc, but can't find anything as to what is causing the heat problem to make the repair. HELP

Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

its normal for them to run hot especially if your just putting around the yard. Anything under 20km it helps to use low range so the air flow will increase over the clutch. Make sure your inlet and outlet are not plugged. When you pull the clutch cover off blow everything out.. Their should be no oil in their so one of the seals behind the clutches have probably went bad. The drain hole in the clutch cover should have a bolt in it. That is a sealed area to keep the water out.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. Did some investgating this morning. Clutch cover off, found the drain bolt wasn't really very tight which probably allowed the oil to seap out. Maybe a good thing because it let me know there is a problem. Removed clutch and looks like the seal on the shaft is leaking. Some evidence of oil on the shaft and right below which is very close to the drain hole. Belt and clutch look good, doesn't look like the oil has had an effect on either. Good to know about using low gear to keep fan speed up. Was concerned about the hot cover as I felt it was hot enough to almost burn skin and didn't think that was right.Didn't know if I had a clutch, bearing or what ever problem. Is there anything that I should replace or do now that I have it apart. Of course the seal. Belt looks like new and that whole area is very clean other that a little oil residue on the bottom of the clutch cover.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Replace the belt. even though it looks good it could have oil embedded in it and cause it to slip generating excess heat, and break. Give everything a good clean out with some brake clean make sure their is not trace of oil on the clutches..

Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

K Thanks for the advice