2010 550 fuel injector question - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

Default 2010 550 fuel injector question

So my cat keeps dumping fuel into the oil. I was told odds are my fuel injector is stuck open.

I pulled it out tonight and opened with 12volts. Then I sprayed the air compressor through it. Some gas shot out of course.

so I closed it and when I try to push air through it, it won't go through.

I forgot to try to blow some air through with it closed at first to see if it was stuck open. Oh well, I'll throw it together and see what happens.

Anyways, my question is this, should I replace the o ring on it before I put it back in? I thought might aswell, but then I realized I can't replace the rubber seal on the bottom. I'm guessing if I want a new bottom rubber seal I have to buy a new injector.

Throw it in and see what happens?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

I'd try another one. Try running premium gas, if you haven't already. I'm a firm believer in using "Top Tier Gas". I believe regular gas lacks the detergents to keep injectors from sticking. I've always run Premium in my Dodge Hemis, now 355,000 miles on one, never used any injector cleaner. I alternate with my Cat 700, 5 gallon of regular, then 5 gallons of 93 octane. Could be the fact that ATV's don't get driven every day, contributes to the sticking. Think the o-ring will be ok, but check for a crack or a missing piece.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
I'd try another one. Try running premium gas, if you haven't already. I'm a firm believer in using "Top Tier Gas". I believe regular gas lacks the detergents to keep injectors from sticking. I've always run Premium in my Dodge Hemis, now 355,000 miles on one, never used any injector cleaner. I alternate with my Cat 700, 5 gallon of regular, then 5 gallons of 93 octane. Could be the fact that ATV's don't get driven every day, contributes to the sticking. Think the o-ring will be ok, but check for a crack or a missing piece.
I have used premium in the AC in the past, but it made it hard to start. Switched back to regualr and it was fine.

I run fuel stabilizer in every tank.

I will check for a crack and a missing peice.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Those fuel injectors are fairly inexpensive, I see em on eBay all the time. You could also try some injector cleaner or SeaFoam. It's funny, when I had 2 carburetored Cats, those started and ran incredible. -20F , start on the first or second revolution. My fuel injected 700 seems to need to turn over 4 revolutions before it starts. My 700 seems to sputter and lightly backfire decending a hill in Hi range. I could tune a carburetor better than the stock tune on the 700. I love the 700, don't get me wrong, but it's not tuned perfectly from the factory. I'm going to change my oil and send a sample to Blackstone Labs, hoping no gas in the oil.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Well I got it back together. Seems to idle fine, but I didn't ride it. I siliconed the intake peices. Ill ride it tomorrow.

I used compressed air and some cleaner.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol

The newer EFI machines are not tuned for prem fuel. You will get no benefit and can run worse. I was even warned by a few dealers not to run prem in the machines