Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 Arctic cat 400 atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Arctic cat 400 atv

I need help!! I took in a Arctic cat that was not running the owner had a friend replace the stator and flywheel (loose magnets) and said that a friend of his had also replaced the, CDI, Volt reg, coil, and plug. He said it started for a sec then died then never started again. After doing vast amounts of research I discovered that it had the wrong CDI box plugged into the harness (it said KDX400 on the CDI) it was popping the IGN fuse and had burned up the Diod in the fuse block. So I had the owner order a new CDI from Arctic Cat. After the wait for the correct CDI I installed the new one made sure all connections were correct and it sparked about 5 times then quit. Rechecked fuses, connections, downloaded a copy of the service manual that explained how to test the high voltage to the coil and It had 497vdc when the key is turned on and 275vdc when cranking. This is measured with the black lead of the dvom connected to the white/blue coil feed wire and the red dvom lead to ground. The service manual states that it should be 160 to 240 when cranking but doesn't say what to do if it is out of range. The resistance/ohms measurement on the pickup/trigger coil is 200.ohms. I have tried different coils and even tried the old CDI that was original with no different results. I have had the side cover off to inspect the Stator installation and have checked resistance on all of that. I have checked with the plug resistor off of the coil wire. The odd thing is if I remove the coil pos lead from the coil and intermittently touch the lead to the coil it will make the coil spark. New battery fully charged even tried to start with pull crank in case the diod in the start button was bad. I know there has to be one of you out there that knows what I am missing here and I am willing to be educated at this point. So, help if you can please.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is stator the same brand as the flywheel[Denso or mushba] If not match brand it canbe electrical out of time? If no brand on stator and If you have old stator may want to count the number of bars that the windings are on to see if same amount also see if windings are the same size Just guess here, If stator and flywheel all OEM I still would research some to see if Arctic Cat [Suzuki] offer 2 different brands or stator and flywheel Normally all atvs have 2 chioces

Old 09-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the reply.
The stator and flywheel were bought together and previously installed by the friend of this guy and I have had that apart to measure flywheel size and stator size and have also swapped the trigger coil out with one that measured the correct ohms. I always thought that the stator was only for charging the battery and the pickup coil or trigger coil was used to signal the cdi when to spark. There is a yellow wire and a white wire coming from the stator that connects to the CDI the ohms reading checks out okay but it doesn't produce any power when spinning engine with starter or pull crank. Should this have voltage when spinning?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes I think so let me look tomorrow when I get back to shop I think I have manual

Old 09-22-2018, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JackFlashRepair
There is a yellow wire and a white wire coming from the stator that connects to the CDI the ohms reading checks out okay but it doesn't produce any power when spinning engine with starter or pull crank. Should this have voltage when spinning?
Yes. If it is like the Suzuki LTA500F I just worked on, it should have both a trigger coil and a power coil in there. While the pickup coil
is supposed to put out something like .5V peak, the power coil is something like .7V peak. That may have been messed up or not
replaced in the earlier stator removal.

BTW, your coil primary peak voltage should be more like 150V or so.

Does your voltmeter have a record or peak function?

Old 09-22-2018, 06:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by sr.ruedas
Yes. If it is like the Suzuki LTA500F I just worked on, it should have both a trigger coil and a power coil in there. While the pickup coil
is supposed to put out something like .5V peak, the power coil is something like .7V peak. That may have been messed up or not
replaced in the earlier stator removal.

BTW, your coil primary peak voltage should be more like 150V or so.

Does your voltmeter have a record or peak function?
yes it does my volt meter will read as high as 600v and sometimes the reading is more than that on the primary wire when disconnected from the coil but usually around the high 400s. When connectedto the coil and ignition on or cranking it reads zero. There is voltage on the secondary coil side it will shock the crap out of me if I touch it but it won’t spark. If you run a grounded wire against the end of the plug you can create a very small spark. But it will not pulse when spinning the engine. I am starting to think that the flywheel doesn’t have any magnitism but could be wrong

Old 09-24-2018, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you can't get at least a half volt pulse off the power coil in the stator, it needs attention. If someone was in there when
the last repairs were attempted, that is an alarm. I can't tell you how many times I have seen previous work causing
big problems.

High 400V range for coil input is too high, IMO.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I checked a wiring diagram for an AC 400: There are 2 coils in the stator that need to be checked. One is the trigger
coil (200 Ohms), and one is the power coil (0.1 Ohms). I do not know what the official AC output V is for those 2.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Getting somewhere

I spoke to a longtime Arctic Cat tech today that owned a dealership in Tennessee and after explaining what results I was getting he said one of two things was causing the issue either the CDI was for a manual shift (mine is an auto and they ARE different) or the polarity of the trigger coil and or CDI power coil are reversed. After changing the polarity on both I have spark. Now the only problem I have is it is at the wrong timing . When it fires, it is making it backfire through the carb. I think that the wrong flywheel was installed by the previous “friend” he let work on it. But I will let everyone know what I find.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default video

Here is a video of the unit running

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2723.MOV (3.85 MB, 84 views)

Quick Reply: 2004 Arctic cat 400 atv