Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Looking at Alterra 90 and 300

Old 11-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Looking at Alterra 90 and 300

Hi everyone, first post here and I'm looking for some advice...

I'm looking for 1st ATV's for my son (9) and me. So far I've looked at Yamaha, Polaris, and the new Textron units. I was more impressed with the latter 2 than the Yamaha. What I haven't found are any reviews on units produced under the Textron ownership. For some background, we have some acreage in East Texas where we'll be riding.

I like the Alterra 90 (for him) and the Alterra 300 for me. I want a smaller one for myself for beginners. These will be for putt putting around the land (flat but largely wooded)...not going through streams, no hills/mountains, etc.

Anyone have any commentary on these specific units?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Old 11-25-2018, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, as far as I know, they are identical as Kymco machines. Made in Taiwan, not to be confused with Red Chinese junk. They are top notch units. I'd compare to Kymco as far as dealer, price, etc. I'm an old school Arctic Cat guy and kinda sad that they had to import, vs build in the USA. As far as I know, you have to buy the 700's to get made in USA. Textron is a good company. Read the owner's manual, don't use Hi Range for slow speed or working, like towing a trailer. Use correct lubricants, etc, the older Cats that I've owned had very informative manuals....

Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Im a AC guy and hate Polaris but i will give it to Polaris that they make a kids machine that is far superior in ride and handling that the others you listed. I would then go to the yamaha as they have always build a great reliable machine so it will hold its value for resale.. Then unfortunately the AC machine I looked at one locally and i was really not impressed with the AC kids machine..

Old 11-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Zrock that's discouraging about the Textron kids' machines. I really liked them, although admittedly don't know much about this at all. Certainly didn't ride them. There's a dealer within range that has new 2018 leftovers for about 33% off of MSRP, too, not far off from some recent used units, so was hoping I could make something work with confidence seeing that I believe they carry a 12-mo warranty. I'm going to check them out again more thoroughly along with a few others brands.

I welcome more input from others as well.

Many thanks,
Bill

Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol

when i looked at the ac machines i found their brake setup was sub par (my import had better brakes), The shocks were about the same quality as a import machine, and a few other things that i can't remember. This was a few years ago so hopefully things have changed.. Double check that warranty as well. Don't get me wrong if the price was right i would buy one as kids will not notice those things and they are still going to have a blast with it.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got it, thanks for the info. I've looked at all the brands 'til I'm blue in the face. To add further complexity, I saw a Polaris Ace 150 that looked awesome....and perhaps safer than an ATV (?) for a kid. Not sure if it has the same terrain capabilities as a quad, but yet another thing to consider. Santa's time is running out....