Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Textron Alterra Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Textron Alterra Reliability

Hello, I am new to the forum and never owned an ATV. I am looking to purchase one in the coming year mostly for hunting. I live in Washington state and want to start using an ATV for getting around, due to my age my knees prohibit me from hiking long distances.
I have been looking at the Textron brand that Bass Pro sells only because I bought a boat from them a couple years ago for my son who no longer has the time to go fishing so I will be trading it in. I still owe on the boat so I don't want an additional payment on buying another brand like a Honda or Suzuki which I know are reliable.

So is the Textron brand reliable, I know that Arctic Cat is now Textron is there customer service good when it comes to warranty issues. will it leave me stranded in the mountains of the northwest 15 to 20 mile from my truck.
or am I better off buying A Honda, Suzuki, or a Yamaha. I really want to hear from Textron owners about their issues good or bad.

Thank in advance for your input
Rudy

Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

never had a issue with my cat... it all comes down to your dealer if something does go wrong.. Have not heard of to many issues with the newer machines..

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Attic Cat had a very good rep, I would never be afraid of owning one. Textron had issues with the bad boy buggies and getting them serviced. Now that they have merged, I dont believe the bad boy buggy issues will follow them. They couldn't afford to allow that to happen. However it might be a little to soon to know in my opinion. Best bet is to talk directly to service people and get there personal opinion.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I went to Bass Pro to talk to them, they will be having the 2019 models on the floor in a week or so. asked about engines in them I was told they would be new Textron engines in them. the salesman could not recall the name but said they were a German company that Textron bought. so I called Textron customer service to find out about these new engines and was told to check with the dealer because they cant give me that info unless I was a dealer. so I called other dealers and was unsuccessful on getting that info.

also the Bass Pro near me is fairly new so this is the first time for selling ATVs (2019 models)

-1 for customer service from Textron

Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about the brand new drive trains...the older attic cat stuff was almost bulletproof. Some of there drive trains were made by Kymco and they make awesome engines. Only time will tell with Textrons new powerplants, and they may be great, however I dont want to be the first one to try them. I prefer something time tested for sure!

Old 12-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would not hesitate to buy with a German built engine.. They are known for quality... Did not take to long to pull up some info on them i think if they build jet engines we should be safe..LOL
https://www.textronmotors.com/Home/Products/OffRoad

Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

looks like the 700s will be getting a new Re-designed Textron Motors 700 engine https://textronoffroad.txtsv.com/atv...ty/alterra-700

Not sure on the 570 https://textronoffroad.txtsv.com/atv...ty/alterra-570

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe the 570 is the same engine on previous 550 models 545cc it sure looks that way.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Pretty hard to beat the old Arctic Cat 700 motor. Curious if they "improved" it or just found a way to make it cheaper. I have a 2014 TRV 700, it's strong as hell. Lots of grunt and stock it topped out at 74 mph. I still hate the front end, looks like a Polaris. Should have stuck with the Jeep look...

Old 12-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
I would not hesitate to buy with a German built engine.. They are known for quality... Did not take to long to pull up some info on them i think if they build jet engines we should be safe..LOL
https://www.textronmotors.com/Home/Products/OffRoad
All those people that laid out big bucks for there Bad Boy Buggies thought the same thing, but when there became no warranty service for them, look at the number left holding the bag. Had to create a class action lawsuit to get them serviced, now they are part of the same group as Artic Cat, sure hope that has improved! Germany has always built quality in the past but I still don't want to be the first to own one, I prefer something that has proven itself for a couple years.

Quick Reply: Textron Alterra Reliability